TKR

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TKR

Post by texan »

oldhikerQ wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:07 pm Hello all.
Has anyone here resumed backpacking after a total knee replacement? Had my ACL replaced (second time) in August 2022. PT was “challenging” and it never felt stable. Went to ortho 2 with new mri and he insisted on X-rays as well. Last image showed knee bone on bone over more than half of inside of the knee joint. This ortho said that i should have had the tkr surgery instead of another ACL. All of the associated pain and rehab time was a waste.
In any case, I’m finishing week 2 post surgery, starting outpatient PT in 2 days.
Is there any hope for me to get back on the trail? If it mattters, i just turned 70 a couple of months ago.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
old(former?)hikerQ
I total understand your concern. After 5 knee surgeries, the last one in 2007, both of my knees are bone on bone. They have been for the last 4 years. The last time I went to the ortho 4 years both knees images were bone on bone. I did gel treatments and PT for 2 months and nothing helped. Then I tried riding the bike again and it hurt for 6 months, but now my knee is better after riding that bike over the last 4 years almost every day for 30 minutes. The muscles around the knees are stronger after the bike riding which eases the pain around your knees. I also use the wonder drug voltaren if knee swelling gets bad. Taking a espon salt bath every night helps too. I know I will have to get the TKR soon or later but as long as I keep moving I hope I can postpone the TKR for as long as possible. Good luck with your recovery.

Texan
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Texan
Thank you for your story.
I too tried the gel injections first and found no relief. That's when i decided to opt for the TKR surgery.
That the bike riding helped out makes sense to me. My PT keep stressing the importance of strengthening the muscles around the knees. One of their mantras is "motion is lotion". Starting to believe that it is true. I'm ow 4 weeks post surgery and able to get around short distances without the walker. Still a bit unsteady, so the walker still accompanies me when i'm out in public.
Best of luck with your TKR when it eventually happens.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

My orthopedic surgeon explained it to me this way. The leg muscles above and below the knee must be kept strong. If they get weak or unbalanced, then you are more susceptible to a knee injury in the first place. Following knee surgery, you have to do some physical therapy to rebuild muscles, but not just getting one muscle back to normal, because it will go to hell again. Instead, you have to rebuild the affected side until it is maybe 10% stronger than the normal side. Then, over time, they will balance out.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Bobby49
Thank you for your insight. My PT (DPT, she is proud to say) lives a couple of doors down. She was a competitive figure skater (training with US Olympic team) and knows what my goals are. She has me on a program designed to strengthen the muscles on both sides of the joint. Our goal is to get me to the point where i can do an easy 5 day Sierra backpack in mid September, and then continue on to 7-10 day trips next summer.
Here's hoping...
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

oldhikerQ:

Sorry for not chiming in earlier.
I have my trainees who have knee pain, and even those who don't, including myself, to do a lot of reverse walking, and as you get stronger, do uphill reverse walking and then start reverse sled pulling. I lean my back against our school electric car and push with my quads for certain distance intervals. Your quads will strengthen immensely without the eccentric soreness, you get a decent cardio workout if you do longer distances, and your knees will become backpacking-proof. Here's a video going into more detail. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGVPlgAWZE
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Thanks for your input Mav and the video. The bike exercises have helped me immensely but I need another exercise to get my quads stronger before I do the TKR operation. The reverse walking you suggested looks promising and I will try it. Thanks again.

Texan
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You’re welcome, Texan. Update us on your progress, please.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org