Challenges in getting permits this year

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Challenges in getting permits this year

Post by maverick »

The funny thing is that I am hearing more and more of my friends and acquaintances talking about how frustrating things have gotten since Covid and especially how this year has become so ridiculous that many are just planning on going without permits. Going to the wilderness should not be so complex that people resort to these extremes, yet I sympathize with their outrage and displeasure with the current permit system. These changes have affected my bottom line as a wilderness photographer, too. :\
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rayfound wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:49 pm Yeah, the whole quote/permit system is a MESS now. Seems like the permits all get snatched up. I was lucky enough to pull a JMT North of Reds for a quick section hike to Tuolomne... hopefully Donahue is passable by June 7th. Went back to find another section (was thinking Lamarck -> Bishop pass or something) for July and literally every permit for Lamarck/Piute/Bishop Pass is reserved for every single day of July/August.

I know a lot of people book then cancel or no show. But this can't possibly be the best system.
It's a money making scheme for Booze Allen, the government contractor. It doesn't bother me so much that it is more difficult to get a permit than it was even 10 years ago, as it bothers me that the government contractor is making $100's of millions, if not more, operating Rec.gov by charging people just for applying for a permit (whether they get it or not) or for cancelling a reservation. Meanwhile, the parks themselves are primarily supported through taxes with little money, comparatively, going to them for the actual permits and reservations.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

I have the GREAT fortune to hold a 7n backcountry campsite in Big Bend NP in a couple weeks. (also Rec.gov) Most make a reservation a year in advance. I was able to scrum up this week in one site without moving in January. Probably because someone cancelled it. Very few remote spots will fit my 24' trailer including this one so I will tent it. No amenities at all but happy to have it. It's 1,252 sq miles big. Not like Yosemite alot of people don't get to spend the night in the park; they stay in private places outside and drive in every day. I too have found people reserve spots and don't cancel them. A backcountry primitive camp is $5/night with old geezer pass. Pretty cheap to stay in a NP. No wood/ground fires and generators allowed. Along with all the other 4wd, high clearance and length of trailer if at all restrictions.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

Utilizing all my intense practice and muscle memory I was able to procure a permit for Kearsage Pass for September. But I wonder about the quota of 60. That's a lot. By comparison, Italy Pass is 8, Bishop Pass is 36. Are they increasing the quota for Kearsage because access to that area from the west is not available? Has it always been 60? Whatever, I'm looking forward to my trip. Thankful that Emigrant still doesn't require permits, but I suspect that will happen eventually.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Could be temporary for PCT hikers who resupply on the east side until the bridge is repaired over Goddard Creek, as well as no west side access to Rae Lakes Loop assuming Roads End will not open. I for one am not going to complain about increased quotas!
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

60 seems like way too many.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

scottmiller wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:31 pm But I wonder about the quota of 60. That's a lot. By comparison, Italy Pass is 8, Bishop Pass is 36. Are they increasing the quota for Kearsage because access to that area from the west is not available? Has it always been 60?
It's been 60 for a number of years, it hasn't changed recently. Cottonwood Lakes is also 60. I've done Kearsarge, Bishop, and Cottonwood Lakes multiple times and I have not noticed any difference between the three in terms of people/crowds. September should be fine. Have fun.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

I anticipate a great trip, 60 people or not. This trip was supposed to happen last year from the West, but then it rained a lot.