Bishop to Sabrina Lake

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
redbeard
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Bishop to Sabrina Lake

Post by redbeard »

What options exist for getting from Bishop to Sabrina Lake without a car? I got a note the Bishop Creek Shuttle won’t be running this year from Eastern Sierra Transit. Just want to understand options.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bishop to Sabrina Lake

Post by shawnterustic »

It's a shame they cancelled that service last year; a tiny part of me engaged in some magical thinking hoping they'd resurrect it this year!

There are a handful of local shuttle operators (the national forest keeps a list: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 489230.pdf) that will do runs up there, although it can get pretty pricey. Hitching is fairly common. There's also an Eastern Sierra trail angels group on Facebook where people sometimes connect for rides.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I'd just ask the local sporting goods stores and cafes if they know of someone who could give you a lift. That is what I've done in the past. Also you could ask the desks at Cardinal Resort, Parchers or the outfitter, all of which are if are relatively close to Sabrina, if there is an employee who commutes from Bishop who'd be willing make some money to shuttle you.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
redbeard
Topix Newbie

Post by redbeard »

Awesome tips - thank you!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

In the past I have been successful at hitchhiking. But that was in the days when people picked up their permits at the FS office and I simply asked for a ride as people walked out the door with their permits.

I regularly pick up backpackers when I drive the roads to and from the trailheads, sort of karma payback from all the hitching I have done in my life. If in a group, just have one person to the hitching to the car and then drive back to pick up the others. I hope other backpackers also would generously pick up fellow backpackers.

Why do you need a ride? Are you doing a point-to-point route like north lake to south lake? I ask because without the shuttle service, where are you allowed to park cars overnight in Bishop?
redbeard
Topix Newbie

Post by redbeard »

I would like to camp up near Sabrina Lake a few days ahead of a longer backcountry trip that leaves closer to Bishop. I’m not 100% on this plan just yet, but I have some time and I’m trying to see what is possible logistically or what options exist.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What trailhead closer to Bishop? Sabrina is about as close to Bishop as any trailhead. Hitching between Sabrina-North Lake-South Lake is pretty easy. I I am not sure what the rules are now, but long-term overnight parking near Sabrina used to be limited. It would be good to check with Inyo office in Bishop regarding parking rules. They even may have some good suggestions regarding your logistics.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I've never found hitchhiking to be a tremendous problem around here. If you are trying to get from Bishop to Lake Sabrina, then stand at the Highway 168 curb, about one block west of US395. There will be traffic making the turn onto 168, and you want them to see you before they pick up much speed. Sometimes they can't take you all the way to Lake Sabrina, but they can go to the junction a few miles downhill from there as they turn to go to South Lake. You can walk uphill from there to Lake Sabrina, or you can wait for another ride to go uphill. If you need to go uphill to North Lake, you might as well walk, because there isn't that much traffic to North Lake (except for fishermen).

If you are trying to go from South Lake downhill, prepare to wait for two hours in order to get to Bishop. A driver actually went out of his way to take me to the bus stop at Vons in Bishop.
JasonG
Topix Novice

Post by JasonG »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am What trailhead closer to Bishop? Sabrina is about as close to Bishop as any trailhead. Hitching between Sabrina-North Lake-South Lake is pretty easy. I I am not sure what the rules are now, but long-term overnight parking near Sabrina used to be limited. It would be good to check with Inyo office in Bishop regarding parking rules. They even may have some good suggestions regarding your logistics.
We parked at Sabrina last year for a week.. There are a bunch of small pullouts to choose from. Had no problems.

And yea you shouldn't have too much of a problem hitch hiking from Bishop to Sabrina. Ive done it before. Just make sure they have room to see you and pull over just past you. They might be turning off to South Lake or North Lake, but you can always catch another ride from there..

As i said above we parked at Sabrina and then returned to South Lake, so we just dropped out packs at the boat ramp, I hung out there and my buddy stuck his thumb out at the end of exit of both parking lots and he got a ride within 5-10min and went and picked up the car. The people weren't going to Sabrina but were nice enough to give him a ride up there.
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

Hitching from Bishop to South Lake is in my plans for this summer so its good to hear this is a workable plan.

As another possible option, does anyone know if Uber is available in Bishop. Just thought this would be more reliable than hitching and less expensive than shuttle services.