Upper Kern Trip Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cjt93
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Upper Kern Trip Advice

Post by cjt93 »

I’m planning on a 7-day trip to the Upper Kern over Labor Day via Shepherd Pass. I have a few question about the route and area
  • Given that this is looking like an average snow year, will the snowfield just below the pass be present in early September (best guess)? Any lingering snow would probably be a dealbreaker due to my lack of experience w/micro-spikes and an ice axe.
  • I hope to make it to either Anvil Camp or Pothole on the first day, starting from the stock trailhead (won’t have a 4x4 to start from hiker’s TH). Depending on how I feel, I’d like to make it to The Pothole, but am curious what others’ experiences are with campsites? My shelter will be a flat tarp and bivy
  • I plan on base-camping at Casper Lake and spend 3 days wandering and exploring. Some options I'm considering include (1) fishing targeted lakes in the area, (2) exploring Thunder Basin to the west, (3) exploring Lake South America and Harrison Pass to see the basin west of Mt. Stanford, (4) exploring Milestone Basin. Are there any other recommended areas I should consider? It’s already looking like I need more than the allocated 3 days!
  • I’ll relocate to Wrights Lake area and try fishing LK 11959 on my next-to-last day. Most of this area looks above treeline though. Thoughts on a well-protected campsite in Wrights Lake area?
  • How reasonable is it to hike to the Stock TH from Wrights Lakes in a single day? Caltopo indicates this is 16 miles, 2k elevation gain, 7.7k elevation loss. I expect to have a 25lb pack and plenty of motivation for a shower/hamburger, but wonder if I might as well schedule a double knee replacement in Lone Pine now. Anyone have experience doing this exit route in a day?
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Upper Kern Trip Advice

Post by texan »

I have been over Shepherd Pass twice a long time ago when I was in my 20's, so making to Anvil Camp is what we did both times and we started before dusk to avoid the heat since TH elevation is low. The snowfield at the top should be fine in early September this year. As for fishing, you have to fish Lake South America, big goldens and hybrids. Wrights lakes was very productive too and so was Wallace. I almost forgot right over the pass there is a lake that had good rainbows in it too, don't pass it by there good fish in it. Good Luck and your smart going in early September most of the crowds will be gone by then.

Texan
Traildust
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Traildust »

I had a friend come down Shepherd Pass late last summer. He said there was no trail to follow. He said the trail to the parking area has been completely washed away. He kept having to cross the stream multiple times and deal with the downed trees, debris and bushes. He ran into 2 rangers on the way down, it was a struggle for all. A backcountry ranger recommended to not use the trail.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

Despite the above report I'd hold off on ditching your Shepherd Pass plans. Perhaps trail work during the summer (sometimes just flagging the route) will improve things. Surely someone will report current conditions before your trip. 2) I always poop out at Anvil, but then I don't get an early start. 1) I agree the snowfield will be a non-issue by Sept. 3) The Thunder Mtn drainage is very pretty. I prefer to camp higher up that creek than at Caspar because I'm after views, not fish. If fish weren't part of the equation I'd say Milestone basin offers much more beauty than the LSA area.
Also I second the recommendation for Wallace lake. It's very high, but ridiculously scenic.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I'd wander through MIlestone Basin over LSA, but I don't fish.

Anvil Camp is nice in the trees, there were other people there when I went up and then down so don't expect solitude. The Pothole area would be fine, but if I was doing Shepherd Pass again, I'd probably just stop at Anvil Camp.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com