2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by maverick »

Hi Dave,

I assume most folks will be there the afternoon or evening of the 25th; others may be camping close by and join in on the afternoon (7/26), so one can socialize and meet members there and take off before the afternoon on the 26th if need be.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

OK, I'll pull in my permit.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello All, I am re-posting this question in the hope that one of you has driven this Buttermilk to Horton Lakes road. Thanks from Ian and Lizzie, Bear and Wolfie-- with a H.Lakes permit for the 23rd.

We wrote:
Re. access to the Meetup, does anyone know about the Horton Lakes trailhead? I can't get through to the White Mtn. Ranger Station, and my question is about the road in. How close can you get to the H.Lakes Trailhead before it's impassable for a 2wd vehicle? In the past, I've had luck thrashing through 4wd roads in 2wd, but I don't know this one.
388.JPG
117.JPG
If you see us one of us on the trail, say Hi to our humans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Harlen -
Never been there. I looked around and found this:
viewtopic.php?t=21605 … perhaps useful, although describing road conditions from 2021.
FWIW, I am planning (hopefully with another HST member) to head via Italy & Dancing Bear passes; starting (per current plan) on the 22nd. Looking forward to meeting you all there.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Grampy,
I'm still on for this trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I plan on finally getting into that area this year. Despite my best efforts, I am neither a strong nor fast hiker, especially with a pack. I may or may not be able to get to Vee Lake, though I am going to try. Does anyone want to do the XC section, leaving JMT, with me?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What day are you planning on arriving at Upper Bear Creek Meadow to head up to Vee Lake?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

I would get to upper bear creek the day before the meetup. So if we are meeting on the evening of the 25th, I would camp near Upper Bear Creek Meadow on the 24th.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM sent.

Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

maverick wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:51 pm We will arrive on either the evening of the 24th or mid-day on the 25th, Daisy. We are probably going up to Orchid's small outlet lake beforehand. :nod:
So you are essentially going in a day early. I saw pics of Orchid and it looks beautiful!