Trip Report:  Skiing and Climbing With My Son at Silver Lake and Carson Pass,  4/25 - 4/27/24.

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report:  Skiing and Climbing With My Son at Silver Lake and Carson Pass,  4/25 - 4/27/24.

Post by Harlen »

Just returned from a short but wonderful skiing and climbing trip with my son Ryan.  It was our first trip into the Sierra together for a long time.  He has been resort skiing in the Sierra with friends, and so, was able to give me some really useful tips to improve on my still woefully inept downhill skiing.  The coolest part of this trip was the passing of the torch element, as 24 year old Ryan is now bigger and stronger than me, and he charged ahead, breaking trail, and choosing the route.  At the end of the ski in on the first day, when I was hauling a heavy sled uphill through the trees and dying-- he took the sled off me, and got us up to a nice, high camp.  [Note to self: Sleds are for open country; never again take an overloaded sled uphill through a bumpy tree maze!  Without my son's help I would have died cursing in a tree-well.

A very short trip deserves a short report, but there were some interesting points to it, the main ones regarding the ease of access to these places. If I understand correctly, there are none of the rec. gov wilderness permit requirements for the Eldorado National Forest, and Mokelumne Wilderness.  The permits can be obtained at the Amador Ranger Station in the town of Pioneer, and at other Forest Service offices, or online with them directly.  In summer, permits can also be had at the small cabin on Carson Pass, and the only areas that have quotas are around Winnemucca, Roundtop, and 4th of July Lakes.  If you enter from Carson Pass or Kirkwood, you can hike through this quota area on your way to Summit City Creek, and onward with an easily obtained WP for the Mokelumne. For the area above Silver Lake, where we entered on this trip, there were no requirements beyond a campfire permit.  It is a bit confusing, but the ranger on the phone was very helpful (Amador Ranger Sta.: (209) 259-3774). It seems like a very welcome throwback to the good old days, and potentially a useful option this summer.

Our goals for this trip were to ski in from Carson Pass, and to climb Thunder Mountain. I also wanted to reach the true summit pinnacle of Thimble Peak, having missed it last time.  We were successful in the first goals, but the final few feet of Thimble still eluded me.  We decided on the spot that if we could throw snowballs onto the top, that was good enough. It was easily done. Thunder Mtn. is a wonderful mass of volcanic crags, which can be scrambled through easily on the southern slopes of the mountain.  Here is that slope, and the rest of our trip in pictures:

100_6617.JPG

100_6615.JPG
Ryan in the crags of Thunder Mountain.

100_6675.JPG
The trip began at the Kit Carson pull out, deciding what gear to take.  We took all of this stuff, and found we didn't really need the snowshoes and Sorel boots.  We left crampons behind, and could have done without the ice axe and shovel too-- though we did use them.  

100_6600.JPG
The heavy gear went in the sled.

100_6598.JPG

100_6609.JPG
Tall Pacifico beers were part of that load.

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG
On the way up Thunder Mtn.

IMG_0202.JPG
  We found this "window" on our route and reached the ridge crest right under it. 

100_6625.JPG

100_6612.JPG

100_6632.JPG
Ryan on the crest.  He led the whole way and did great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu May 02, 2024 12:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

IMG_0189.JPG
Ryan's pano-- Silver Lake below, flowing into the Silver Fork of the American River.

IMG_0211.JPG
We moved on up to Thimble Peak, 400' higher at 9,805'.  We checked out the skiing at Kirkwood on the way.  Roundtop in the distance.

IMG_0216.JPG
One of the steep couloirs.

100_6639.JPG
View north along Kirkwood Creek, with the Crystal Range, Jacks and Dicks Peaks, and Mt Rose.

IMG_0217.JPG
Same shot taken with Ryan's I-phone.  I learned that my cheap Kodak distorts the color a lot- Damn!

100_6643.JPG
The day up high was beautiful.  Here we're gazing west back to Thunder Mtn.

IMG_0213.JPG
Silver Lake from Thimble Peak.

100_6641.JPG

100_6642.JPG
Thimble's tricky summit rocks.

100_6645.JPG
Down, down, down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed May 01, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_6652.JPG
 Back in camp.

100_6654.JPG
And back down on Silver Lake.

100_6657.JPG
The 1st leg of our trip done.  We spent the night in the Snowpark below Red Lake Peak.  We saw some more Mountain Bluebirds, Canada Geese, Green-winged Teal, and best of all, a pair of Coyotes hunting in the snowy fields!

IMG_0243.JPG

100_6673.JPG
For the 2nd leg, we day-skied in from Carson Pass.  We are heading first right up under the far cliffs.

100_6659.JPG
This strip was nearly a replica-- exactly one year later-- of last May's ski tour with Bear; the one where I broke my leg and wrecked a ligament while skiing under Roundtop. We did almost all of the same things, but thankfully, not the wipeout.

100_6664.JPG
The bowl beneath these cliffs is fantastic!  It has a big mountain feel to it.

IMG_0233.JPG

100_6668.JPG
Ryan ripping down the long bowl, and I'll come tumbling after.

Norway09 (23).jpg
Young Ryan.

IMG_0204.JPG
17 years later.

IMG_0230.JPG
Old man bringing up his rear.  As I said, the best part of this trip together was having my son take the lead, and outshine me by a mile in the skiing, and then take the time to teach me:  "Go ahead and lock down your boots too; keep your heels flat, and bend your knees forward more... you've got to commit to the turns."  Thanks to him I did my best skiing ever.  Too cool.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Trip Report:  Skiing and Climbing With My Son at Silver Lake and Carson Pass,  4/25 - 4/27/24.

Post by Gazelle »

Great report! Top of thimble is pretty exciting! Get why you didnt do it!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Trip Report:  Skiing and Climbing With My Son at Silver Lake and Carson Pass,  4/25 - 4/27/24.

Post by Harlen »

I need to sort this out. Check out the differance:

100_6639.JPG
Compare color tone with the same image below.

IMG_0217.JPG
Same shot taken with Ryan's I-phone.

When I wrote:
I learned that my cheap Kodak distorts the color a lot- Damn!
I hadn't noticed how many of the snowy photos are pinkish. I reworked many of the ones in the Trip Report, and they are still awfully pink. Check out the differance in the tone of white snow:

100_6645.JPG
My Kodak camera. And I used Contrast, Brightness and White to improve what was an even pinker image.

IMG_0222.JPG
Taken with the I-phone. Perfect white!

So either my dependable little Kodak is too old (it's about 4 years old), or it was never any good, and I need to buy a better small camera. Any recommendations, at less than $200.00? Thanks, Harlen.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

gazelle wrote:
Great report! Top of thimble is pretty exciting! Get why you didnt do it!
Apparently you found the way up; did you leap like a gazelle up from the ridge? I reckon third time will be the charm for me. I'll make it up that little north ridge if I have to do it a cheval! Congratulations to you if you made it; I was glad my son was fine not trying it. Hope to run into you this summer, Ian.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

img.jpeg
img.jpeg
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Cool report, to a place I need to revisit :-)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Gazelle, I notice you say nothing (incriminating) but just show a couple photos supposedly documenting your summit climb. It looks pretty realistic, but I understand that some climbers resort of Photoshop to complete their climbs. ;)

I jest. I never doubted you'd reach the summit-- you must, in order to complete the Sierra Peaks list right? They don't count summits reached with snowball throws, do they?
... the final few feet of Thimble still eluded me. We decided on the spot that if we could throw snowballs onto the top, that was good enough.
You used the very route I had decided I should've tried. I climbed into the vertical crack to the far right, and was stuck there.

Thanks for showing us the way gazelle. :thumbsup: