suggestions for a 3 night trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
johnnysmash
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

suggestions for a 3 night trip

Post by johnnysmash »

I'd love some suggestions for a 3-night trip - probably something less than 40 miles, in mid to late September. I'm an experienced Sierra backpacker who does 8-day cross-country trips for work on a regular basis. But, my girlfriend is coming to visit from the east coast. She's game for anything, but she won't be acclimated to elevation and steep climbs. I'd prefer a loop or lollipop, or somewhere with a connecting bus, but I'm willing to consider other options if they're especially awesome.

My favorite spots in the mountains are high alpine lakes - I love the Piute Pass/Pine Creek Pass area, Tahoe and associated lakes, the Mt Whitney area, etc. I'd prefer to avoid Yosemite because that's where I'll be all summer. The aspens should be starting to change at that point in the season, so aspens would be great. Finally, the twist - I'm proposing to my girlfriend on this trip. So, a spot with an amazing view would be ideal.

Thanks for your help!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: suggestions for a 3 night trip

Post by sambieni »

Awesome!
Loop out of Agnew Meadows... Ediza Lake for the big question?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Even before reading sambieni's comment, I was going to volunteer Thousand Island Lake. Go in via the high trail (from Agnew Meadow) which has sensational views almost the whole way and you can come back out the river trail (and even do a spur to Ediza, if you were inclined). The great feature of that route is there is a little climbing early and a bit before you reach the lake, but otherwise, it's mostly level and smooth going. And, if for any reason (weather, unexpected jetlag) you need to park early, there are good intermediate options for camping with big views. Cameron
johnnysmash
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by johnnysmash »

Thanks both of you for the recommendation! Photos of Thousand Island and surroundings sure do look nice.
hjwolters
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hjwolters »

I do concur with the above. Gem Lake is also on the route. My wife enjoyed this trip and she is not into strenuous backpacking trips either

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk