punctuation problems?

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

punctuation problems?

Post by markskor »

Interesting that now much of the punctuation (in many of my stories anyway) has been replaced by a "?". Hope that this is only temporary.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

That's strange... I'll have a look.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Good work Kemo Sabe....Much better...instead of "?"s, now square boxes.
LOL...something is amiss somewhere. Might be that I "copied and pasted" my stories from Word.
I know it is in the software someplace...thanks for trying...know you are very busy.
Should I edit all and re-paste?
Mark
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Hi, Mark,

I made an update trying to fix your issue. Guess it didn't quite fix it. I'm still looking into it, to see if there is anything more I can do. Not sure if there is a simple solution, though. If it's not too much trouble, could you edit the punctuation errors? If not, I will be happy to go in and do it myself. Just provide me with links to the threads with the errors and I'll make sure the changes are made before the end of the week.

Cheers,
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Thanks, but...
Without counting or checking all my stories, from what I can readily see on my end, the problems number in the 100's...maybe 1000's. Each ellipse (...), commas, dashes...all punctuation marks, except periods are now corrupt.
It will be much easier for me to just delete them all and... (re-post?). I have the originals safe here; I just wonder why this happened.
Mark
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Hi, Mark,

The answer to your question of 'why' is...computers can be a pain in the butt, and counting on others to do the job for you always seems to come back to bite you in the ***. The hosting company I was using (FuitadNet.com) was suspposed to be backing up all of our site files, daily. Apparently, they have been sleeping at the wheel, and even what they have been backing up has been not what we needed, and they never seem to have the time to make up for their mistakes. Rest assured, I am moving this site to a new company who, hopefully, will do a better job than they.

As for your posts, don't worry about it. I will just do a search for all of your posts and go through and manually edit them myself. You've put a lot of work into what you have posted. I will be the one who will make sure all of that is preserved.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Thanks but no...I will just edit each and re-post.
For me, it will be 25 relatively easy steps, (one for each story) - for you...fugit-about-it!
Plus, how could you ever know that you have it all absolutely right?
The only question is, should I wait until after you make the move?
Mark
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

For what its worth...I notice wrong punctuation when I use Abobe Bridge and then post it on Flickr. I'll have '?' instead of "". I love computers...it's all Bill Gates' fault!
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Mark, that's up to you. In theory, it sould transfer over just fine. But I've learned there are no guarantees.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Done...edited and re-pasted all. Kind of hate to see the edited 2 or 3 times at the bottom of each, but...
let us see if it sticks.
Mark