2018 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lions Fire 7/26

Post by maverick »

The Lions Fire reigniting is impacting the entire Mammoth/Middle Fork San Joaquin area and the South Fork depending on the prevailing winds. Like the Ferguson Fire is not enough in that area. :(
Plus there is a hot spot in Toiyabe NF right on the CA-NV border.
https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v1/run ... 00/#viewer
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Yosemite Webcams 7/26

Post by maverick »

:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amghaderi
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: 2018 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports

Post by amghaderi »

Does anyone know how smoke conditions are further south around Bishop pass / Palisades?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Bishop webcam:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

SEKI Smoke Update

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Cedar Grove Smoke Update

While there are no fires here, Cedar Grove is seeing smoke from fires in the surrounding areas. This photo was taken from the Bubbs Creek Trail switchbacks, looking west down the canyon on July 25. We're expecting high pressure to bring increasing smoke from the Ferguson Fire over the next few days.

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

1532702915270.jpg
sentinel.jpg
netcamxla2.jpg
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Does anyone have a recommended smoke forecast resource for the Carson Pass area?

I am planning on spending the weekend up there.

I apologize for being lazy, I am sure I could find the answer if I took more time in this thread, but I don;t have much free time today, as I try to wrap up work before hitting the road. Thanks HST!!!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

I went from Carson Pass last Saturday taking the in-laws to Winnemucca for some wild flower gaping.
There was far less smoke than in the Tahoe Basin. It's not too bad in the basin today, so shouldn't be too bad up in the pass area this weekend.
BTW the wild flowers were really going off and the place was packed. Get there early if you want to find a place to park.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks TahoeJeff! I really appreciate you sharing this info on current conditions!
jms703
Topix Newbie

Post by jms703 »

I'm curious what the air quality is in Emigrant Wilderness. Does anyone know of a resource I can check?