Deer Cove Trail Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Deer Cove Trail Conditions

Post by creekfeet »

Operating under the assumption that current national parks closures will remain in place through the summer, I’m fixin’ to do a trip from Deer Cove into the Monarch Wilderness that’s been on my list for years. According to the SEKI website, “CA Highway 180 remains open for through traffic to access Forest Service land and private property.” I’m assuming this means Deer Cove is technically open since it sits on national forest land, but if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone has been up the Deer Cove Trail since the Rough Fire a few years back, knows what kind of shape it’s in, or can let me know how it compares to the Lewis Creek Trail which was pretty overgrown near the pass the last time I used it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Deer Cove Trail Conditions

Post by c9h13no3 »

Highway 180 from Grant Grove to Cedar Grove

"This road generally opens the fourth Friday in April, but remains closed at this time."

Not sure if that's current. Cool trip idea though, no permit required if it goes.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Wed May 13, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone has been up the Deer Cove Trail since the Rough Fire a few years back, knows what kind of shape it’s in, or can let me know how it compares to the Lewis Creek Trail which was pretty overgrown near the pass the last time I used it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... es#p147091

Waiting for the road to open up too, revisit to GOD. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Hmm the forest service website says the monarch wilderness trailheads are closed due to damage from the rough fire. Maybe out of date?
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

Thank you for the updates. I've been doing some research, and like everything else COVID related, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. It sounds like the road is gated at Grant Grove, restricting access up 180 and onto 198. However, I'm hoping eventually they will at least allow access up to Cedar Grove, and allow access to all the roads around Hume Lake and Big Meadows which would allow some solid backcountry access. I plan on making some phone calls this week to see if I can get more info.

Maverick- Thanks for linking that conditions report. It seems like if the trail wasn't too hard to follow early in an extremely high snow year, it shouldn't be too bad this year.

Chulavista- After looking through the forest service website, I'm getting the impression that it's the trails in the sequoia groves in the vicinity of Hume Lake and Big Meadows Road that are closed. I wasn't even aware that this area was considered part of the Monarch Wilderness, as I only associate it with the land in the vicinity of the Monarch Divide.

Anyhow, I'll post an update here after speaking with a ranger.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

Creekfeet, I was up there early season twice last year. The trail is in good shape and I talked with a ranger hiking up to do trail maintenance during one of my trips. If the trail is covered by snow then it is the usual navigational challenge. The trail gets harder to follow just above Fry Pan meadow (after you cross the creek) to Grizzy lakes. The lower half can be very hot if you start relatively late. Water low is a bit sparse as well. FYI, there are bear boxes at Fry Pan. Hope this helps.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

creekfeet wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:39 am However, I'm hoping eventually they will at least allow access up to Cedar Grove, and allow access to all the roads around Hume Lake and Big Meadows which would allow some solid backcountry access. I plan on making some phone calls this week to see if I can get more info.
Hume Lake is open, as is Big Meadows Road up to the gate. Sequoia NF is open, but all the SEKI NP sites are closed. I was there 2 weeks ago.
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

Hume Lake is open, as is Big Meadows Road up to the gate. Sequoia NF is open, but all the SEKI NP sites are closed. I was there 2 weeks ago.
Which gate is closed on the Big Meadows Road? The only one I'm familiar with is the winter closure gate near the highway.

According to Caltrans 180 is closed at the normal winter closure gate near Yucca Point.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

jmherrell wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 am
Which gate is closed on the Big Meadows Road? The only one I'm familiar with is the winter closure gate near the highway.

According to Caltrans 180 is closed at the normal winter closure gate near Yucca Point.
The first gate 1/2 mile in on Big Meadows Road, it's still closed for winter (although the road is clear all the way back)

The 180 was closed at the gate near the Hume Lake turnoff when I was there (5/1/20), IDK if they've opened it down to Yucca Point since then
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted

Post by jmherrell »

Does anyone know the "gate rules" for Caltrans or the Forest Service? Does the closure just apply to motor vehicles or to pedestrians and bicycles as well?