TR: Cottonwood Lakes Day Hike from the Old Cottonwood Creek trail, 5/24/2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deenad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Cottonwood Lakes Day Hike from the Old Cottonwood Creek trail, 5/24/2020

Post by deenad »

I live in the Eastern Sierra, so I get up into the mountains as much as I can. The Cottonwood lakes area is such a special place! I started from the old Cottonwood Creek trailhead today. The weather was perfect!
IMG_2338.jpeg
This trail is a delight! I like unsigned trails, because I am not a fan of continuous, well graded slogs. I dig more of a variation and a more natural vibe in my trail and this one has it in spades!
IMG_2337.jpeg
There were so many wonderful campsite opportunities along the way. I would much rather acclimate the first night about a mile into this hike than at a campground next to a parking lot!
IMG_2354.jpeg
Eventually, after traveling along with the creek on one side and dolomite and Foxtail pines on the right, you end up at the Golden Trout Camp.
IMG_2353.jpeg
Due to Covid I assume, there was no one at the camp, and I am wondering if they allow folks to walk through their camp to access the mail trail. I crossed their quaint bridge and after entering the John Muir Wilderness, the trail starts climbing in earnest.
IMG_2340.jpeg
When I finally arrived on the plateau and was able to wander over to the first Cottonwood Lake, I had lunch with my new marmot friend who I immediately named Murgatroyd.
IMG_2350.jpeg
I then headed back as there are no wilderness permits yet this year. My Apple Watch said that the hike was 11.56 miles with 1,375 foot altitude gain.
I still haven't acclimated yet, but when I can start sleeping high, I will be happier!
Hike On! xo Deena
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
counselor
Topix Novice

Re: TR: Cottonwood Lakes Day Hike from the Old Cottonwood Creek trail, 5/24/2020

Post by counselor »

I’m thinking of headed up to cottonwood lakes in a couple of weeks to do some trout fishing. Did you go past the first lake and, if so, can you comment on snow conditions? It doesn’t look like I have anything to worry about from your pictures.

Hopefully the walk up permit situation is figured out by then. Thanks for the TR!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Cottonwood Lakes Day Hike from the Old Cottonwood Creek trail, 5/24/2020

Post by Bishop_Bob »

nice report - thanks!
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

counselor wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:31 am I’m thinking of headed up to cottonwood lakes in a couple of weeks to do some trout fishing. Did you go past the first lake and, if so, can you comment on snow conditions? It doesn’t look like I have anything to worry about from your pictures.

Hopefully the walk up permit situation is figured out by then. Thanks for the TR!
I don't know about the camping permits yet, I think that is still up in the air. However, that whole area around and including the Cottonwood Lakes has special regs and is always closed to fishing until July 1st.
Nature always wins
> miles = < people
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

There was a little bit of snow on the trail here and there. Nothing to worry about though. Definitely check the area fishing refs. I did read that there is no fishing in the first lake. Maybe because there are no fish. I didn’t see any jumping and I watched for a while. I would head to the South fork lakes for fishing myself.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Looks like an awesome hike. Thanks for taking the time to post a report. I hope to get up there one of these days.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Great report! I can't wait to get out there myself!
ryanerb
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryanerb »

Thank you for posting! Glad you enjoyed!
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

Thanks everyone! 😀