Yosemite is opening this weekend (at least to some wilderness permit holders)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite is opening this weekend (at least to some wilderness permit holders)

Post by robow8 »

balzaccom wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:54 pm By the way, while some of the surrounding national forests are issuing backpacking permits, those permits will NOT allow you to enter Yosemite. (exceptions are PCT and JMT hikers).

If you want a permit for Hoover, Ansel Adams, John Muir Wilderness areas fine, but you can't hike into Yosemite. At least not now
From Yosemite's Wilderness Permit Page:
5. I'm beginning my hike outside Yosemite, but will end my hike in Yosemite. How do I get a wilderness permit?
If you are starting a hike from a trailhead located outside of Yosemite National Park, obtain your permit from the trailhead's managing agency, even if camping in Yosemite. Only one permit is required. Even if you plan to spend every night of a Wilderness trip inside Yosemite but your entry trailhead is outside Yosemite, you do not get the permit from Yosemite. If you are starting at a trailhead in Yosemite and wish to camp outside of Yosemite during your Wilderness trip, you will only need to get a single wilderness permit from Yosemite.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite is opening this weekend (at least to some wilderness permit holders)

Post by TehipiteTom »

balzaccom wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:54 pm By the way, while some of the surrounding national forests are issuing backpacking permits, those permits will NOT allow you to enter Yosemite. (exceptions are PCT and JMT hikers).

If you want a permit for Hoover, Ansel Adams, John Muir Wilderness areas fine, but you can't hike into Yosemite. At least not now
Is that according to NF staff, or Yosemite people? I've been trying to pin this down one way or another, and haven't had any luck.

I did go to rec.gov this morning to check out the reservation process, and for Robinson Creek trailhead I was able to designate campsites in Yosemite. In theory, at least, the system shouldn't have allowed that if Yosemite is out of bounds. I'm going to try calling Bridgeport tomorrow and see what they say.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Yosemite with nobody there (Fri - Sunday) and catch the sunrise on Sunday from atop Half Dome

There were no day-visitors, no campers, no hotel stayers, just people with pre-acquired Wilderness permits

Yosemite was beautiful as always in early June. Not as much snow melt as 2019 or 2017, but still lots of water coming down.

Highlights:
  • Not seeing anyone else on the Mist Trail until we almost got to LYV
      We got up super early to catch the sunrise on Half Dome, as we approached the thick fog filled the valley and I thought everyone was going to be pissed at me for getting people up so early with no views! But as first light came, the clouds started to break up and put on a real show over the next couple hours during sunrise
        The full moon was setting simultaneously with the sun rising opposite of each other and we were stuck in between the 2 celestial bodies in a Cosmic Blast!
      IMG_8407.jpg
      IMG_8482.jpg
      IMG_8545.jpg
      P6070062.jpg
      P6070068.jpg
      P6070071.jpg
      IMG_8411.jpg
      P6070110.jpg
      You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
      balzaccom
      Topix Addict
      Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

My information about the permits including Yosemite came from the wilderness ranger in the Sierra National Forest. She said she could not write a permit that included any visit to Yosemite.
      Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
      Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
      Lumbergh21
      Topix Expert
      Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

paula53 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:26 pm I want to day hike the Glen Aulin trail to the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. How will the park handle day hikers?
      You will need to reserve a day pass online through recreation.gov. Only people with Wilderness Permits or vehicle passes will be allowed in the park. No showing up and paying at the gate. They plan to issue 1,700 vehicle passes per day, valid for up to 7 days.
      TehipiteTom
      Founding Member
      Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:28 pm My information about the permits including Yosemite came from the wilderness ranger in the Sierra National Forest. She said she could not write a permit that included any visit to Yosemite.
      Got it, thanks.

I just talked to a Bridgeport ranger a minute ago and she confirmed that they are issuing permits (through rec.gov) for travel into Yosemite NP. She also confirmed that, since their reservations (for Hoover Wilderness) are all on rec.gov, anything that rec.gov permits is fine.

I don't know if Sierra NF has their permit system online yet, but it's probably worth checking out.
      jvquarterback
      Topix Newbie
      Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by jvquarterback »

I scored 10 slots on Ten Lakes beginning 6/21 (awesome Father's day present from my kids). I think a lot of slots are going unfilled. We're taking the kids as well as some cousins and my BIL so I'm actually trying to change the reservation to May lake. Apparently you can't make a reservation within 9 days but you can change it. I know, I know, stick with Ten lakes. We'll see how our 4 year old does.

Not all of the backpacker's camps (including White Wolf) are open (and in YV they have people using Pines camp so you're closer to water to wash your hands).

I have a reservation from Agnew Meadows to YV in a month as well. I've called the ranger station there and everything is good to go.