First harness thread, or, introducing (? the) "Spurr Harness"

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First harness thread, or, introducing (? the) "Spurr Harness"

Post by Silky Smooth »

Boy am i late to the party. Josiah For alpine stuff, i would get the camp flash or camp alpine flash harness, a petzl reverso atc, locking carabiner and a hollow block, with these 4 items you can be safe in the mtns going up and down. Blackout and I use the alpine flash for sidecountry & backcountry climbs. In addition with the hollow block you can get yourself up a rope to if you have to. With climbing and everything else getting soo popular I stress the importance of safety. Additionally so many mistakes happen on rappels. Know your system and take your time and be redundant. Practice helps. Being in LP and having the alabama hills in your backyard, you have a lot of options to practice on. One that comes to mind is in the back of the Candy Store, just a bolted anchor. Being fast and light in the alpine doesn't mean you dont have to be safe. The harnesses pack done to nothing and extremely comfortable with adjustable leg loops. My 2 cents as a hiker/climber. But again it all depends on the objective, your experience, and what gear you are carrying.

I have seen people solo crazy things by my standards but casual for the climber, its all relative to each person's experience and comfort level. Safety first but also be realistic about your abilities and what you get into. Going down sometimes is sketchy. Learning lessons in the mtns are tough but invaluable. I believe Corderro in Elevations has gone up that way and few others in town in LP., maybe Russell.

Best of luck and be safe!