Maps for 2021

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Maps for 2021

Post by kpeter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 am

For years I used first ACME and then CalTopo to research trips and then print out paper maps. As I began planning for next summer I found that Cal Topo has gone to a tiered subscription system, and the free version does not seem to offer the USGS maps that it did last summer. And looking back at old ACME, it no longer seems to offer the USGS maps either.

Has something changed? And what is up with CalTopo? I could not figure out if subscribing at one level or another would get me to the USGS maps as it once did?

c9h13no3
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Maps for 2021

Post by c9h13no3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 am

kpeter wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 am
Has something changed? And what is up with CalTopo? I could not figure out if subscribing at one level or another would get me to the USGS maps as it once did?
The USGS maps are under scanned topos right?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.

TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Maps for 2021

Post by TurboHike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:53 am

I use the free version of CalTopo and I still see all of the maps. In the older version, the map links were on the left banner, now they appear on the right banner, under the heading "preset combinations". It is the same as before as far as I can tell.