Taboose Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass

Post by Shhsgirl »

I’m wondering the same thing. Trip on Aug. 8.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Found a recent TR over Taboose, no real specifics on trail conditions, did not mention any issues, and they did mention that water was not an issue.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Has anyone been up Taboose pass. As I recall there was a nice grove of Ponderosa a few miles up the trail and a couple of miles further where the trail crosses the creek a second time there were a couple of sketchy sites for camping. Anyone know the status of those two areas?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are you talking about the flat sparsely timbered buttress that is about 150 feet up hill after the first crossing? I have camped there years ago. It was a fairly roomy campsite, a bit lumpy, not sketchy at all. Just a little bit off the trail. I carried water up from the crossing to avoid bushwhacking down to the creek later.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

There is a small site right at the first water crossing (actually, was the 2nd water crossing in 2017 due to the high water levels):
taboose.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

SirBC, did you write a 2021 trip report? If so, I missed it. Could you put in a link to the report?
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

i camped at the site WD mentions in 2017. large, flat and quite nice, to be honest.

on caltopo, the crossing and campsite is just outside of the taboose fire perimeter, which could be a good sign for it continuing to be a nice spot!…
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

SirBC, did you write a 2021 trip report? If so, I missed it. Could you put in a link to the report?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15125&p=123609&hil ... ss#p123609
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I did Taboose in August of 2019. We arrived late in the afternoon and spent some time at the trailhead chilling in the creek. When the sun went down we boogied up the trail. We got to the first crossing just as it was really getting dark. Not knowing how deep the water was, we cowboy camped on the north bank where there was a small bench about the size of a two person tent. I was pretty exhausted and fell asleep despite the rushing of the creek. When we woke up the next morning, we found that the creek crossing was trivial and then discovered that nicer camping spot up on the bench. The moral of the story is better to endure a bit of sun and be able to cross the creek for the nicer camp spot.
DeLaFlower
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DeLaFlower »

We did Taboose pass last July the road to get to the trailhead was very bad we started our climb around 6:00am and get to the bench lake Ranger Station around 5:00pm wonderful place