Taboose Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass

Post by jenreyn »

Road update

I just went up Taboose and across the first creek crossing till I decided not to slog anymore in the snow. Was hoping to get to the 9000ft line. Give it a couple weeks of warm temps and the trail will be mostly melted out.

The road is in much worse shape than last year, most likely from the big rains we had last October. Hard to imagine it would be worse, but it is. The road is extremely rough the last mile and a half, even in a newer 4x4 Tacoma. Interestingly, there was a grader parked where the road becomes dirt, and there was evidence of the grader making an attempt on the road. However, it looked like the FS has let the road go too long without maintaining the road and therefore the grader gave up not too far up the road....the rocks protruding out of the dirt on the road looked like it was giving the grader a hard time, and more or less were creating giant holes and ruts as the rocks were pulled out. At this point, I hope the FS will take an actual dozer and blade the road or come up with another solution.