Where get the USFS John Muir/SEKI mega-map?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Where get the USFS John Muir/SEKI mega-map?

Post by michaelzim »

I can't see a MAPS subsection (except the HST map), and this is not really GEAR - so posting here.

I have been trying to get a new copy of my old, tattered, huge, multi-sheet USFS John Muir Wilderness/Sequoia-Kings Canyon map. Have checked the USGS store, ESIA store, REI, Google, phoned some east side Ranger Stations, etc. No luck.
Sounds like this is not being printed any more, but does anyone know where it can be obtained???

Thanks much ~ Michaelzim
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where get the USFS John Muir/SEKI mega-map?

Post by wildhiker »

I found it on the USGS map store at this URL:
https://store.usgs.gov/filter-products? ... p_filters=[%2222645%22]&page=2

-Phil
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Phil

Ummmmmmm, thanks - but I just got an endless list of page after page of maps for places I never knew existed all over California. I muddled around trying to find the one I want under "J" for John Muir etc. but no luck. Can you outline the exact steps to where/how you saw it please?! I know of a few others who have mentioned wanting to get this map too so if it is hiding at USGS would be a real score.

Thanks ~ Michaelzim
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I found the map on the web site, but it said "not available".

Have you considered using instead the Harrison maps? These might be more available.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:20 am I found the map on the web site, but it said "not available".

Have you considered using instead the Harrison maps? These might be more available.
Yep...But the Tom Harrison maps are much more "spotty" than the mega map. That big one sure covered a lot of consecutive ground though I do suspect it is not available any more. So yes, will likely end up with Harrison.

Thanks! M.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

You could put a "want to buy" on E-bay? There are internet e-bookstores that specialize in out of print stuff- I do not know a name of one, but maybe you could google it. Not sure if the effort is worth it to you. I am glad I have my old map- sorry but it is not for sale since I still use it a lot.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Is this what you are looking for?

https://store.usgs.gov/product/116112
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Sorry , my mistake! I thought "not available" was for the map, not just the posted image.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

does anyone have a photo of what these look like? curious how it would compare to printing out a large modern topo map of the same area
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

TurboHike wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:34 am Is this what you are looking for?

https://store.usgs.gov/product/116112
@TurboHike Yes! That is the correct map though I have no idea how you found it in that pile...However, it is NOT available even though it implies that it is even in the shopping cart and initial checkout procedure. When I came to pay I got a: "Blaaaaaaaaaaap - something is wrong with your order!" Only then did it say the map was out of stock so to please remove it from the cart.
Kinda dumb as I had to make yet another unwanted online account (no "guest checkout" option) just for that and got absolutely nowhere.

I guess it may be available on eBay or some specialized source (thanks Daisy!), but too much hassle. I will fudge along with Harrison maps, and the pieces of my old mega one that are still useable.

Many thanks to all who helped with this ~ Michaelzim