Trip Advice: Early May, some cross-country and snow travel

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice: Early May, some cross-country and snow travel

Post by Harlen »

Hah! That car has been everywhere! I make clearance by straddling things, and put the biggest rocks right under the tires.

100_0919.JPG
Here's where we got to, right next to the sluice-gate deal, which created a great swimming hole.

100_3314.jpg
Note tire off the ground.

100_3318.jpg
And don't forget, Bearzy's does the driving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Wandering Daisy asked about the creek crossings up Taboose Canyon, and I didn't realize how severe they can be. I checked out the Post by Teresa Gergen titled: 6/27-28 Over Taboose Pass, and saw the scary photos of that first crossing. The Post can be found at the bottom of my recent Taboose Pass with Bears Post, at the bottom in the "Similar Topics" section.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kirstinrode »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:35 am
Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am The air photo shown above has 2020 date. This is 2021. Not sure why you used old data for a request of information for this year.
Here's this year's, from May 1st. The pin drop is on Duck Pass, and you can clearly see that Duck Lake is frozen. I skied across Horseshoe Lake on April 25th. But Kirstinrode is sorta all over the place (writing multiple threads asking for conditions, ignoring data when it is presented, ect.). Seems like she's ignoring anything that doesn't tell her it's good to go, so whatever.

Ouch thanks for the info. I'm just looking for the latest updates and was not sure as a new person where to put them so I can prepare and plan accordingly. As a ranger I spoke to said, conditions are changing drastically. I guess I should be more specific with my questions for this forum in looking for the latest conditions of the trail. Thanks for your input?! :derp:
kirstinrode
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kirstinrode »

SSSdave wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am The air photo shown above has 2020 date. This is 2021. Not sure why you used old data for a request of information for this year.

No why. Rather an ooooops. Funny how I didn't notice all those 2020's on that screen capture after I'd spent time looking at the whole range on 5/1/21 then later reopened the link for the post. The replaced map does show Arrowhead, Skelton, and Barney at least partially melted out so definitely much earlier than average for May. Also Virginia and Purple show a bit of open water so may melt out by mid month while the rest are frozen. It does look like the Tioga road end may be the only decent area for skinning up back country skiing. Virginia Lakes and Sonora Pass look thin.
Thank you for that!