Mid July SEKI backpack trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wahiker9
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mid July SEKI backpack trip advice

Post by Wahiker9 »

Hello High Sierra Folks,
I am so happy to finally be registered and a part of your community. I live in Washington state but grew up in California and spent some time in the beautiful amazing high Sierras. This summer my daughters and I are looking forward to a 15 day pack experience mid-July and would love some sage advice from those who have travelled these trails. We are hoping for around 150 miles and are level 2 backpackers, very little cross country travel - definitely prefer established trails. (Some previous pack experience includes several Mt Whitney summits from the portal side; Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim; Wonderland Trail Mt Rainier in 7 days.) We are planning on starting each day as close to sunrise as possible to avoid the worst heat and hopefully get over passes before any possible T-storms. Of course fires may change our plans...hopefully not though.
We have a permit for entry/exit at Twin Lakes Sequoia area. Here are our thoughts so far.

Twin Lakes-Ranger Lake.
Ranger Lake-Roaring River area.
Roaring River - Colby Lake.
Colby Lake-Junction Meadow area.
Junction Meadow-Tyndall.
Tyndall-Vidette area.
Vidette-Kearsage Lakes...2 nights at KL with resupply at Onion Valley.
Kearsage Lakes -East Lake.
East Lake-Sphinx/Bubbs area.
Sphinx-Roaring River area.
Roaring River-Upper Ranger Meadow. (If running behind - can head toward Twin Lakes instead.)
Ranger Meadow-Tamarack Lake.
Tamarack-Mehrten Meadow.
Mehrten -Twin Lake TH.

Questions:
Does this itinerary sound possible? Desirable?
Does anyone have campsite suggestions that would be less populated? (I think most of these destinations are common areas and might be crowded and would love some guidance to areas that might be quieter.)
Any insight on going up the very steep Sphinx trail? Is the trail very narrow? Are there sheer drop offs? Can it compare with any of the Whitney trail after trail crest?
Any crazy sheer drop offs combined with very narrow trail on any of this route? (It's the narrow trail part that can really make my palms sweat especially when the trail angles slightly to the drop off.)
Any difficult river crossings that we should know about?
Any areas that have long distances between water supply?
Any insights into Colby or Elizabeth passes would be so appreciated. Frankly any insight on any part of the trip would be great!

Sorry for so many questions...but this is our first long backpack trip in the area and while the maps, books and websites have been great, they only go so far. Thank you so so so much!!!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mid July SEKI backpack trip advice

Post by balzaccom »

Last time I was at Colby Lake was fifty years ago...

But your trip sounds like a good choice, given your preface. The Sphinx Trail is steep...and seemingly endless, but I don't remember it as even mildly dangerous.

I think you'll find that if you hike an extra half mile, or choose to camp a bit away from lakes, you will find plenty of room and solitude. Should be a magical trip.

Please post a report when you get back!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Colby Lake-Junction Meadow: the trail along this section can be hard to follow in some places. Go slowly and pay attention. To get to Junction Meadow, you'll need to cross the Kern River, which will be your first water crossing.

Tyndall-Vidette area: the south side of Forester Pass has exposure, but the trail is not narrow. It is, after all, part of the PCT/JMT. Just don't walk and take pictures at the same time.

Kearsage Lakes-East Lake and East Lake-Sphinx/Bubbs area: For these two segments, you'll be crossing Bubbs Creek, which can be very fast in a typical year. However, this is a low snow year, so I suspect it be passable with little drama.

Sounds like a good plan overall. Wonderful views await you.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

There is a bridge at the Bubbs Creek crossing to go up Sphinx Creek towards Avalanche Pass...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I think TurboHike is referring to crossing Bubbs to get to East Lake and then to get back from East Lake. That's two crossings.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

maiathebee wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:53 pm I think TurboHike is referring to crossing Bubbs to get to East Lake and then to get back from East Lake. That's two crossings.
Yes, Maia is correct. To East Lake and back requires crossing Bubbs Creek twice, once each way.
Wahiker9
Topix Novice

Post by Wahiker9 »

Thank you all for the info. We are beyond excited about this trip and will definitely post a TR when we get back.
Glad to hear the Sphinx trail area is not dangerous scary. (Thank you balzaccom!) I was worried about that one. And glad there is a bridge over Bubbs to that part of the trail.
I was not aware of the possible crossing difficulties of Bubbs Creek toward East Lake until you pointed it out - TurboHike. Thanks so much for the heads up...it's good to know that it might be problematic - may be a route changer for me...depends on how swift and high it's running - and to do it twice? Thinking of possible plan B for that part of the trip. Any suggestions?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

"I was not aware of the possible crossing difficulties of Bubbs Creek toward East Lake until you pointed it out"

When Bubbs Creek is flowing high, like in the early season of a normally wet year, it is difficult. One horseback rider could not even get across.

However, when Bubbs Creek is low, like this year, it is an ankle-deep or shin-deep walk across.

If it is difficult, then go back down the trail to the lower end of Junction Meadow. You still have to cross the creek, but the channel is wider and slower there. I crossed there one time with the water almost to my chest, but it was not scary.
Wahiker9
Topix Novice

Post by Wahiker9 »

Thank you bobby49 for the great info on the Bubbs crossing - it sounds possible. Shin or even knee high water (not too fast) is doable. (Chest high??? Wow...that would have probably freaked me out!) We really are hoping to get out to East or Reflection Lake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When you say Junction Meadow to Tyndall, which trail(s) do you plan to take? You could to up to Wallace Creek and then PCT north. You could go part way up the Kern River trail and then up Tyndall Creek. Or up the Kern River trail to Lake South America, then down to the cross trail and north on PCT. Or up the Kern River to the cross trail, cross trail to PCT. The last two skip Tyndall camp.

Upper Kern is beautiful. Best camp is at unnamed lakes near the trail, about a mile below Lake South America. Easy cross-country for a day hike over to the lake below Mt Jordan if you had time for a layover day.

I would avoid camping at Wallace Creek or Tyndall Creek. The small lake on Bighorn Plateau is more scenic. And if you need to get at least to Tyndall, going on up to the lakes south of Forrester Pass offers more scenic camping, although above timber and exposed. The camps on Wallace and Tyndall are more forested, if that is what you like.
Merge13_Kern Trail Lakes.jpg
735_Cross trail view_edited-1.jpg
IMG_6253_Jordan_reflection_edited-1.jpg
IMG_6209_ULk_ForesterP_edited-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.