Looking for details on Eagle Peak, Ski Heil, Pilot Pinnacle, and Mt Diller in Lassen

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
avizzini
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Looking for details on Eagle Peak, Ski Heil, Pilot Pinnacle, and Mt Diller in Lassen

Post by avizzini »

I was wondering if anyone here has climbed some combination of Eagle Peak, Ski Heil, Pilot Pinnacle and Mt Diller, outside of winter, likely approaching from the Lassen Peak TH? I was interested in doing this in the future, possibly next year at this point (though I guess that part of the park has since reopened).

It seems as though Eagle Peak and Ski Heil would just be simple walk-ups, the latter two would be what I wanted the most details on. I've not found many trip reports for these peaks. Are these summits class 2 or class 3, which approaches are easiest? Is the rock fairly solid or loose and crumbly?

Any info is appreciated.
My black & white landscape photography from all my hikes...
https://photography.aaronvizzini.com
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Looking for details on Eagle Peak, Ski Heil, Pilot Pinnacle, and Mt Diller in Lassen

Post by c9h13no3 »

I've only been up there in winter, makes a great ski tour. Highly recommended! The rock is generally class 2 volcanic rubble, not that fun without snow on it.

Check out Bob Burd's report, here: https://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_report ... _n5_1.html
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
avizzini
Topix Acquainted

Re: Looking for details on Eagle Peak, Ski Heil, Pilot Pinnacle, and Mt Diller in Lassen

Post by avizzini »

I don't ski but I will snowshoe, it'd make for a really long day from the visitors center. I'm slowly getting the gear to winter camp, I'd love to camp out at Lake Helen in winter and or Ridge Lakes.

Maybe it's something to consider in the spring when there's snow but the road is plowed to the Lassen Peak TH.

I've read Bob Burd's report (his site is usually one of the first I turn to), very helpful, just wondering about othes' experiences as well.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

avizzini wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:58 am I don't ski but I will snowshoe, it'd make for a really long day from the visitors center. I'm slowly getting the gear to winter camp, I'd love to camp out at Lake Helen in winter and or Ridge Lakes.

Maybe it's something to consider in the spring when there's snow but the road is plowed to the Lassen Peak TH.
It would make an ideal spring outing, yeah. There's a spot of avalanche concern in warmer weather, since the slopes you're climbing are mostly south facing (loose-wet avy problem). But if the road is plowed open, that risk has usually passed.

It's all there in Bob's report, he's quite detail oriented. Diller is a totally reasonable day from the Koh-Yah-man-akelkwerpqwoefalkds visitor's center. There will be a path stomped in the snow to Ridge Lakes unless it has really recently snowed. As Bob states, approach the summit of Diller from the SW, the SE side is class 3. I backed off climbing the SE side in winter conditions (rime ice, ski boots, didn't bring an axe).

The boiling mud pots melting holes in the snow is a pretty cool sight.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
avizzini
Topix Acquainted

Post by avizzini »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:05 am
avizzini wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:58 am I don't ski but I will snowshoe, it'd make for a really long day from the visitors center. I'm slowly getting the gear to winter camp, I'd love to camp out at Lake Helen in winter and or Ridge Lakes.

It would make an ideal spring outing, yeah. There's a spot of avalanche concern in warmer weather, since the slopes you're climbing are mostly south facing (loose-wet avy problem). But if the road is plowed open, that risk has usually passed.

It's all there in Bob's report, he's quite detail oriented. Diller is a totally reasonable day from the Koh-Yah-man-akelkwerpqwoefalkds visitor's center. There will be a path stomped in the snow to Ridge Lakes unless it has really recently snowed. As Bob states, approach the summit of Diller from the SW, the SE side is class 3. I backed off climbing the SE side in winter conditions (rime ice, ski boots, didn't bring an axe).

The boiling mud pots melting holes in the snow is a pretty cool sight.
Yeah, it's a pretty park in winter. I usually try to get up there for snowshoeing day trips a couple times a winter/spring, great winter views from Ridge Lakes, Diamond Peak, and Brokeoff Mountain. Fortunately the fires spared this portion of the park.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

I did them all including Helen november 2nd 2018, took 6 hours 40 minutes. I remember some very loose rock on the last 2 probably class3, just be careful and look for a good route! I started at lake Helen and did a big loop ending with a road walk. It was a beautiful hike!
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein