Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

Post by CAMERONM »

"Missing Hiker ignored calls from rescuers because it was from an unknown number"

(CNN) — A Colorado rescue team has some simple advice for lost hikers or anyone else who might find themselves stranded in the mountains -- answer your phone. Rescuers tried to call the person's cell phone multiple times, but weren't able to reach them. Five LCSAR team members looked for the hiker in areas where people tend to get lost, but called off the search at 3 a.m. A three-person search team checked another area at 7 a.m.

"One notable take-away is that the subject ignored repeated phone calls from us because they didn't recognize the number," LCSAR wrote. "If you're overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone; it may be a SAR team trying to confirm you're safe!"

LCSAR said that this hiker lost the trail around nightfall and walked through the night trying to find it. Once back on the trail, the hiker had to check several trailheads before they found the one where they'd parked their vehicle.
It warns that snow can obscure the trail once you get above the treeline and that hikers can't count on following their tracks back down the mountain because the wind can blow their footprints away.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

Post by Wandering Daisy »

With all the junk calls we get nowadays, I think not answering may not make him a total knucklehead.

There are a lot of other issues. Why does SAR not have caller ID? Why do our phone companies do so little to protect us from scammers? Perhaps the fellow should put a message on his phone that says "I do not take calls from unknown sources, please use caller ID", or why did the people who reported him overdue, not just try to call the hiker who then would have known the incoming number and picked up his phone? The hiker should have called home and relay the situation.

We all should have an emergency plan so those at home know exactly how to respond when we do not show up on time. My family knows not to call SAR or officials unless I am two days late. I too do not pick up my phone unless I know the number or it is on my contact list. Perhaps put the local sheriff's office number on your contact list.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

I get calls saying "Scam Likely" once in a while, and just don't bother answering. Can't see why an identifier can't be added for SAR calls.

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I answer them all. Fun to fool with them. It is the recorded messages that bug me the most.

I agree with John. Add a caller ID like "SAR" or "SHERIFF"
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

John Harper wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am I get calls saying "Scam Likely" once in a while, and just don't bother answering. Can't see why an identifier can't be added for SAR calls.

John
The telemarketing companies would spoof the SAR identifier. Then when you are lost you would get phone calls about your expiring car warranty...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Wonder why SAR didn't send a text message after failing to connect by phone. Far more people will, at least, quick view a text message from an unknown source.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

On a similar note, I was notified yesterday via e-mail by the U.S. Dept. of State that I was the lucky winner in the green card lottery. All I had to do to get my green card was to make sure the e-mail was in my in-box, then click the link.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Did you get the green card? :) Cuz that would be funny and prosecutorial.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

dave54 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am
John Harper wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am I get calls saying "Scam Likely" once in a while, and just don't bother answering. Can't see why an identifier can't be added for SAR calls.

John
The telemarketing companies would spoof the SAR identifier. Then when you are lost you would get phone calls about your expiring car warranty...
That would be incredibly illegal. Those companies would be instantly prosecuted and shut down. Goes beyond fraud into reckless endangerment.