Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Knuckleheads in the Wilderness

Post by c9h13no3 »

ironmike wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:55 pm
dave54 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am
John Harper wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:36 am I get calls saying "Scam Likely" once in a while, and just don't bother answering. Can't see why an identifier can't be added for SAR calls.

John
The telemarketing companies would spoof the SAR identifier. Then when you are lost you would get phone calls about your expiring car warranty...
That would be incredibly illegal. Those companies would be instantly prosecuted and shut down. Goes beyond fraud into reckless endangerment.
What makes you think some telemarketing scammers based in Ukraine or Venezuela care about being prosecuted?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Well I'm gonna suppose that the "hiker" didn't consider himself "lost" but merely delayed for a while (albeit after his itinerary timeline). How would he know that SAR is out looking for him and then, logically, if his phone was obviously working and he wanted help, he would have called for help. And, maybe the person worried about him could've called him, just sayin. :)

And to complicate things, I'd also suppose that the news release is either missing facts or altered some.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Shawn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:58 pm ...

And to complicate things, I'd also suppose that the news release is either missing facts or altered some.
:thumbsup:
True that. I stopped believing the media years ago. At best, you get a cherry-picked version of the facts that support the corporate agenda. Worst, you get fabrication.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

dave54 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:38 am
Shawn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:58 pm ...

:thumbsup:
True that. I stopped believing the media years ago. At best, you get a cherry-picked version of the facts that support the corporate agenda. Worst, you get fabrication.
So, where do you get your current information? How do you form and support your opinions? What exactly is "the media?" Can you define it for us?

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ever get spam on an InReach or Spot? Seems like a better starting point than a stupid phone.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So, where do you get your current information? How do you form and support your opinions? What exactly is "the media?" Can you define it for us?
Let's stay on subject, this thread is about "Knuckles in the Wilderness". Thank you. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Knuckle heads for sure. Don't call the people who care about you letting them know you are running late. What are your loved ones going to do, call search and rescue?? ](*,)
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Let's stay on subject, this thread is about "Knuckles in the Wilderness". Thank you. :)
Best line yet
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

CAMERONM wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:17 pm
Best line yet
Whenever I'm in the wilderness, my knuckles go along for the ride.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Too funny Jim. It reminds me of a quote I've seen, "“The road to hell is paved with ivy league degrees". LOL