Intermittent ADT

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Intermittent ADT

Post by sekihiker »

I have metastatic prostate cancer and I am on dual blockade, ADT + abiraterone, that reduces my testosterone to close to zero. The problem? It also greatly decreases my overall strength and endurance. A bonus side effect is brain fog. I feel like I'm surrounded by a cocoon that reduces my ability to process my surroundings and react to them appropriately.
This is a case where the cure seems way worse than the disease - unless you look at the PSA. I had no symptoms until the treatment started. The PSA has dropped from more than 80 down to less than 0.5. So why have I chosen to treat a number? Studies show the treatment prolongs life and delays disease progression significantly, that is, by years.
I have continued walking and calisthenics and managed to avoid the usual weight gain of 10-15 pounds this treatment usually brings. It appears that I have avoided losing too much muscle mass.
I am talking to my oncologist about intermittent ADT treatment so I can go hiking next year. One of the problems is that it can take many months to regain testosterone production. Has anybody else dealt with this situation?
If you would rather not share on the forum, please feel free to PM me.
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Intermittent ADT

Post by rlown »

How Metastatic is the cancer? In other words, where did it spread? What were the symptoms?
Amazing how a lot of us are getting older on this wonderful site.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

So sorry to hear that. I wish you the best on recovery. Although not as strong as normal, I think the level of what you are now doing may be enough to backpack next summer, perhaps with a reduced route plan or daily mileage. Just getting out would be so good for your mental health, regardless of where you go or how intense the trip. Perhaps get someone to go with you as your "sherpa" to carry more if not most the gear.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

rlown wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:43 pm How Metastatic is the cancer? In other words, where did it spread? What were the symptoms?
Amazing how a lot of us are getting older on this wonderful site.
I have mets from my jaw to my pelvis; in scapulas, a couple of ribs, three vertebrae, several in pelvis.
My oncologist says the tumor burden is low. My only symptoms so far have been a rising PSA with no pain.
The ADT treatment is very tiring and puts me in a brain fog.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 am So sorry to hear that. I wish you the best on recovery. Although not as strong as normal, I think the level of what you are now doing may be enough to backpack next summer, perhaps with a reduced route plan or daily mileage. Just getting out would be so good for your mental health, regardless of where you go or how intense the trip. Perhaps get someone to go with you as your "sherpa" to carry more if not most the gear.
At this time, there is no recovery. I am in palliative care. Oddly, the care seems worse than the situation before treatment.
Reducing daily mileage is something I have been doing over the past few years.
The sherpa idea is a great suggestion. I could get a packer to make a drop off in an area I would like to explore.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The sherpa idea is a great suggestion. I could get a packer to make a drop off in an area I would like to explore.
Or just go with someone who will motivate and help you get to your destination. :unibrow:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

maverick wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm Or just go with someone who will motivate and help you get to your destination. :unibrow:
You slave driver!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like the packer idea. Pricey but a good way to spend the first day. Have you been on a horse/mule before?
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

rlown wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:12 pm I like the packer idea. Pricey but a good way to spend the first day. Have you been on a horse/mule before?
I can't remember riding any mules but I've ridden many horses but never for longer than an hour at a time. The place I'd like to go is not that far in.
I may talk to people in 4wd clubs. The area I'd like to study has the Dusy-Ershim trail going through it.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

@sekihiker if you need a sherpa... I've been thinking about a loop near there, and Henry's been asking me to join him climbing near Courtright. I'd be happy to help if we can sync up on a date. PM as the season gets closer.

Also, have your considered Alpacas? I've seen them a few time in the wilderness, packing in stuff for hikers. I think you can rent them (guessing less than having stuff packed in) and they are apparently easy to manage. That would help you out both directions, maybe allow you to cover more ground or do more trips.