Intermittent ADT

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Intermittent ADT

Post by LMBSGV »

I am so sorry to learn of your cancer. I also wish you all the best on your recovery. From my experience, it’s really discouraging to have to confront the decrease in endurance from one’s pre-cancer days. I find one can feel okay until you get out there and actually try to hike anywhere significant with a full pack. Then the realization hits and one has to deal with one’s limitations as best as one can. When it’s limitations on what one loves doing more than almost anything in the world, it’s an extremely difficult recognition of what is actually possible.

I sure hope you have a sufficient recovery to still get out there and do what you love. Your web page has long been a marvelous guide and inspiration.

Larry
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the kind words, Larry.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

commonloon wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 am @sekihiker if you need a sherpa... I've been thinking about a loop near there, and Henry's been asking me to join him climbing near Courtright. I'd be happy to help if we can sync up on a date. PM as the season gets closer.

Also, have your considered Alpacas? I've seen them a few time in the wilderness, packing in stuff for hikers. I think you can rent them (guessing less than having stuff packed in) and they are apparently easy to manage. That would help you out both directions, maybe allow you to cover more ground or do more trips.
Thanks for the suggestion and offer.
I really appreciate it.
Hopefully, I can go on intermittent therapy and recover some strength and endurance.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello Bill,

We are very sorry to hear about your prostate cancer troubles. I didn't know what PSA was, and I looked it up online. I am sure you know everything about your condition and situation; is it possible that something I read may apply to you? That is, that there are other conditions which can lead to increased PSA? I read the following:
...Common conditions that lead to an increase of PSA such as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and inflammation of the prostate
Is there any question about the PSA levels ability to accurately distinguish high grade from low grade prostate cancer? We hope that you are still as strong and sharp as you appeared at the HST meetup at Minaret Lake. I really hope that you can find the perfect combination of drugs and PT, and hiking, to keep your health at a level your are happy with. Best of luck, Ian and Lizzie.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu May 19, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Again Bill,

With you on my mind, I thought I would spend some "virtual time" with you by entering www.sierrahiker.com. I chose the Center Basin-Junction Pass trip, and the 2000 Confusion Lake trip. I really enjoyed both, and especially the latter, as we have recently returned from the NF Kings country. What a great route you chose, and we want to do something very much like it next summer. Your choice to cross into Bench Valley via the summit of "Mesa Mt" is an interesting one. Can't wait to see those new passes and the upper Bench Valley Basins again. Thank you so much for putting together these great trip reports Bill. Best, Ian and Lizzie, Bear and Wolfie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the kind words, Ian. I'm way beyond BPH and now have cancer that can only be suppressed, not cured. I've had primary treatment - a prostatectomy. It's the treatment that suppresses the metastatic cancer that I have that causes lack of strength and endurance. At the moment, metastatic prostate cancer has no cure. You live with it until you die, hopefully of something else because prostate cancer in the bones usually is very painful toward the end.
Re: Confusion Lake - I can't remember why I went up Mesa Mountain, but when I got to the top there was a cairn with a small register. The top of the mountain was truly a mesa and the way up and down was easy. Cross country travel in the area is very easy and fun and most of the area is seldom used. And there are fish in most of the lakes, mostly small brookies.
Glad you enjoyed the reports.
I sure have enjoyed yours for this summer and past summers as well.
Bill
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Ian -
Since you are looking at the Junction Pass area, don't miss Maia's report at:
https://plutoniclove.com/2019/01/01/cen ... kearsarge/
Bill
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Sekihiker, thanks for posting Maia's trip report. I liked her detailing the route to Rockwell Pass and Wright's Lakes Basin. One of her photos shows where I camped with a group in 2019, a forested area just north of the lake where she camped with a view to Rockwell Pass. It brought back the joy I felt walking into the basin from the JMT at Bighorn Plateau and seeing Mt. Barnard and the vastness of the basin. I often think of that trip.
Maia is an amazing mountaineer.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

SweetSierra wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm Maia is an amazing mountaineer.
And a great photographer and writer.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Bill, my prayers with you. And also hope you find the right blend of therapy and assist that allows you to spend time in "God's Country". Finding your site and reading of your treks guided me to think beyond my history of hiking "bankers hours" and push myself longer. Because of your inspiration I see more, and experience more in my 60's than I did in my 40's.

You've been an awesome guide, and I'm certain you'll find a way to return home.