Intermittent ADT

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Intermittent ADT

Post by giantbrookie »

Bill, best wishes for a great 2022 outdoor season and a toast to your PSA staying low for awhile.

update... My slow-healing right knee (thought to be in this state because of the Jan. testosterone suppression shot) was good enough to allow me to lead my field class in late April (Sunol Regional Wilderness NW Diablo Range) and I was able to do several steep off trail descents without aggravating the issue (but I had to take those descents really delicately). Uphill class 3 stuff tested out fine. Some adjustments to gym routine (returned to gym for first time in 2 yrs following the last radiation treatment in late Feb) seem to have helped to build the right leg strength back. My other strength training stuff doesn't seem to have been negatively impacted--my training is still very intense. Last week I had my first post-radiation PSA (they have to wait 3 months after radiation treatments because PSA may not drop right away as a result of the radiation treatments. The result was my first below detection limit (<0.1) result in two years. I don't plan any super difficult off trail trips this year because of my knee and the fact that my training will be interrupted by about a month away in the field on various projects from mid June to mid July. Testosterone is supposed to be pretty much zeroed out until late June after which I'm told it may be another half year before it returns to normal level. In the meantime, I plan to do my backpacking opener right after Memorial Day to one of those Hwy 168 jeep trail country lakes, using an easy off trail route from another jeep trail. After that I plan a 3-day trip to Woodchuck Country before I have the one month of geologically-related stuff.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

John-
It's good to hear how you are holding up.
I have been suffering flu-like symptoms since going off ADT.
I can't complete my usual morning walk of two miles. I have to take several breaks during the one mile I walk.
This is not fun. I may have to see one of my MD's about this.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Little computer birds, here and there, told us it's your 77th spin around the Sun. We wish you health, and Many Happy Returns, Bill.
You've been a great inspiration to generations of Sierra hikers, and I'm sure to your students too. Keep on going Sekihiker!
Love from Ian and Lizzie, Wolfie and Bearzy.

100_2672.JPG
Here, we're heading back down to see you at camp, in those trees middle right. As I recall, you'd been busy keying out every living flower in the lake basin!

224.jpg
The Ritter Range from the other side. Cheers Bill Finch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks Ian and crew.
Spent bday in hospital after a triple bypass.
Oh Joy!
Slows a body down a bit.
Trying to work my way back because no one would choose to live like this.
Sounds dark, but just griping as I fight my way back through the molasses.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Yikes, that's no way to spend your birthday. Schedule a redo. Keep fighting the fight Bill! The Sierra is waiting for your return.
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Re: health and age

Post by giantbrookie »

Hi Bill,

Best wishes to recovery from triple bypass and other health issues. The bright side of this is that your heart will be in better shape to help out as you continue to go through your conditioning to regain/maintain mobility.

I just returned from 3 days in the field with several folks in the hills north of Santa Barbara. One of the folks who was there was the legendary Art Sylvester (retired, UCSB who probably holds unofficial national record for most years teaching field camp) who is well into his 80s and has been wrestling with hormone therapy for prostate cancer for awhile. We've been comparing notes, so to speak. Whereas he can't effortlessly walk up mountains as he did at least into his late 70s, it was great to see him out walking the dirt roads looking at outcrops and enjoying geology, scenery,wildlife, edible plants (introduced him to the wonders of eating mustard flowers), and craft beer (my homebrew). Art Wahl, who las leading the trip was a masters student of Art Sylvester ca. 1995, and I had two of my own masters students along. I guess what I'm saying is the "elders" getting out there continue to inspire across the generations.

In the meantime, my right knee continues to slowly get back on track, although I noticed my steeper off trail descents were still fairly shaky. A week and a half ago my back blew out again, but my core training has largely fixed that. We'll see how things go Tues-Wed when I see how things work on a mellow overnighter somewhere in 168 country.

Anyhow, my very best wishes to continuing the fight to stay active and mobile. I'm betting that you're out there before the end of the outdoor season.

Cheers,

John
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

Bill,
Damn, what a rough patch. My prayers for a strong recovery. Hopefully this gets you back well beyond your daily 2 miles.

You've got a good group here at HST, those you've met personally and those (like me) we know only through our posts, all root'in for you. And though the physical limits of age close in there is still as much to see and still as much glory and wonder. And our eyes know, as they focus less on what's beyond the horizon to find the beauty right beyond our toes; between the grass blades, in every petal, and every movement in the breeze.

And though you may not walk as far, the glory of God's handiwork still unfolds with every step.

Look forward to hearing of your next adventure.
Steve
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks, Steve.
It's baby steps for a while.
Greg L. Rowe
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Greg L. Rowe »

We've found that hiking in our neighborhood with full backpacks, routes varying between 4 and 6 miles, is great preparation. We start doing it about 3 or 4 weeks before a backpacking trip. We also do hikes on our NordicTrack treadmill, using the iFit program. For example, earlier today I did 3 hikes in Chile with a professional trainer, using the iFit program. We used to prepare by driving to the mountains to do day hikes, but found we spent as much time in the car as we did hiking; not a good use of time or gas.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Greg L. Rowe wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:28 pm We've found that hiking in our neighborhood with full backpacks...
Thanks for the great advice, Greg.