Oldest Hiker To Complete the Appalachian Trail

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Oldest Hiker To Complete the Appalachian Trail

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Oldest Hiker To Complete the Appalachian Trail

Post by Wandering Daisy »

He certainly accomplished his goal! Good for him. Evidently he "section" hiked it over several years (not sure, but that what the article seemed to imply). Even if not a "thru-hike" it is still quite an accomplishment. And he seemed to really enjoy it too! Maybe there still is hope for those of us over 70.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

The impression I got from the article is that he did it all in one calendar year but skipped around - rather like PCT hikers who do a "flip-flop".
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Poor journalism in the vague statement about having previously finished the northern section. After re-reading it I agree that it probably means he just flip-flopped. Makes sense since his hike is written up as breaking the age record.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am Maybe there still is hope for those of us over 70.
I met a pair of guys section hiking the Sierra High Route in 2018 as I was headed up to Lake Italy. They were descending from the Bear Lakes Basin. The "young one" was 78.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

In the 1990s, I met a young man (83 years old) who was out doing the JMT in three weeks, something he had done every three years for decades.
Along the way, his family would resupply him numerous times.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org