2022 HST Post Covid Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2022 HST Post Covid Meetup

Post by michaelzim »

Main entry for this would be Bishop Pass, which has its "limitations"...I have failed for a full week now to get a permit (for Bishop Pass) even with lightning fast fingers, ready at 7:00 am hovering over the Rec.Gov refresh button. Next chance for the Meet dates would be the "W" walk in permits due for release 2 weeks beforehand in July. Makes it kinda iffy as may just lock in somewhere else before that as early August is prime time, aka hopefully no mosquitoes and before the all too darn common mid-August fires!

Best ~ Michaelzim
Old Yeti
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Old Yeti »

You don't know me but I'm a long time ghost in the Sierra and avid user of your site. Thank you to all the contributors. This sounds like fun, and I'll try to incorporate this into another section trip at the same time. It would be nice to put faces to admired members.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Piqued my interest! I've often glanced up the approach to Ladder from the Dusy Basin Trail; it beckons. But I'll have to see how I recover from some major medical stuff, and what work obligations I may have to contend with (looking for a new job).

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I'll join.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Hello- it's too far from LA for me.

Is there a spot that can be accessed from either side? Center Basin? Approachable from Road's End via Bubbs Creek (west side) or Independence via Onion Valley (east side). FYI:

"Ladder Lake along the way is one of the most rugged and wild corners of the High Sierra I have seen. A rarely visited cirque (no trail access) with breathtaking scenery makes this spot a real gem." (Leor Pantilat's Adventures, on WordPress, November 13, 2011).
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I will certainly go to the next one that allows dogs. The one addition to that is I would have a hard time with class 3 with a pack. Day hiking, no problem. With a pack, I am coming to the realization that it may be past my skill level.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Looks like I'm not going to make the meetup, hope everyone who makes it has a good time
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Is this trip still on the calendar? I'd like to give it a go, it will motivate a quicker recovery from a recent stroke!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I plan to be there mid-afternoon 8/4 to morning 8/5. Who else is coming?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Unfortunately, I will not be making it either. The post-covid conditions are turning back into covid conditions again :\, and are just causing too many disruptions at work.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org