Joel Thomazin Search

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Joel Thomazin Search

Post by maverick »

Fellow Members,

I wanted to put this out there early enough for those of you who would be interested in participating.

I'm seeking your assistance in bringing closure for the family of Joel Thomazin, a fellow backpacker and angler.

Most of you know that Joel went missing in the Hetch Hetchy area in September 2021, as reported by Yosemite NP.

We will use the route Joel took from Hetch Hetchy to Lake Eleanor; We will also search the Laurel Lake, Frog Creek, and the eastern shores of Lake Eleanor on the way there and back.

The dates are dependent on the Spring run-off, with the hope that the run-off will uncover or wash some of Joel's equipment, either into Lake Eleanor or another open location. This means the timing of this trip is of the utmost importance and may change, the dates being considered are 6/8-6/12 or 6/22-6/26.

Whether you can attend the entire search Wed-Sun, or maybe only have time on Saturday-Sunday, or somewhere in-between, your participation would be very beneficial and highly appreciated. If you plan to come for a shorter period, use the alternate, faster route to Lake Eleanor from Stanislaus, NF.

I plan to reach out to the Thomazin family once I have a number of the searchers participating to see if they would like to join us; they were involved in the initial searches with SAR.

Finding evidence would provide peace for his family and qualify his wife, Amanda, for death benefits, which she would not be entitled to without waiting up to five years for a death certificate for a missing person.

I you can participate, please email me at: pagoston@prioryca.org

Joel was survived by his wife of seven years, Amanda, and his two-year-old son, Titus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org