Winter Ski tour in Yosemite

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Winter Ski tour in Yosemite

Post by Harlen »

I just returned yesterday from 9 days of ski touring in the Yosemite backcountry. I had a great time overall, though snow surface conditions were challenging, and at times (early morning and at night) I did wonder what possessed me to venture out in late January. Pretty cold out-- lows of 6-7 degrees when camping up high. I made my favorite Cathedral Range circle around Cathedral Peak, and reached my dream camping destination of Evelyn Lake, with its amazing views. Of course, I got the solitude I'd hoped for, if not the wildlife. Everything from hellacious winds, to soothing calm weather, and all in the right moments. I hope photos come out well, TR coming soon. It was wonderful to visit the Sierra again all covered in snow.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Re: Winter Ski tour in Yosemite

Post by Silky Smooth »

A bit late, but welcome back Harlen, just saw this! You hit some of my favorite spots :) You truly are the winter wizard, cold dry temps for sure.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Winter Ski tour in Yosemite

Post by Harlen »

Silky Smooth wrote:
A bit late, but welcome back Harlen, just saw this! You hit some of my favorite spots :)
Thanks Silky. I also put a Trip Report together, so you can see some pictures of the trip. It's in the Backpacking section.https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... =1&t=22110
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.