Snowshoeing Conditions are perfect!

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snowshoeing Conditions are perfect!

Post by Harlen »

100_0285 (2).JPG

The bullet-proof sastrugi, that often slowed, and halted my ski touring in late January is still the snow surface over much of the Sierra right now. I reckon that while it stalls your skiing, it will speed your snowshoeing. It is a somewhat rare occurence both to enjoy such settled clear weather pattern, and to experience miles of fascinating sastrugi. When I was above the trees it looked and felt like the arctic!... better yet the Antarctic--we'll have to ask ironmike of Mt Vinson fame.

Here is an excerpt from the illustrious snowshoe fanatic, and racer Tom Sobal:
Snowshoeing on crusty snow can be one of the best snowshoe experiences. Crust can transform deep snow into a virtually limitless sidewalk for snowshoers, allowing easy movement and freedom to go where you please.

Ideal crusty conditions do not last, but they are worth seeking out.
I am reading through snowshoeing sites to answer the question about the best boots for snowshoeing. I found many mountaineering boots for good prices on the Mercari web exchange site, but though these are usually warm and durable, I was apparently right in my assumption that they would be inefficient for long snowshoe treks. They shine when cramponing up the steepest sections of passes, and of course when climbing, but uncomfortable for the many, many miles in between.

My old Sorel boots, which saw me through Alaskan winter cold, are very comfortable to walk in, but they weigh about 2.5 lbs each (@size 12). I am hoping for something lighter, yet still warm-- TahoeJeff-- what do you use? I think for my next trip, I'll just use the Sorels. Anyone have a favorite winter boot to recommend? Thanks, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Snowshoeing Conditions are perfect!

Post by Gazelle »

I just use gortex trail runners with my snowshoes
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

gazelle writes:
I just use gortex trail runners with my snowshoes
Hi Kristine, Are you mainly racing around on day trips? My next plan is to snowshoe from Kearsarge to Bishop, or Piute to Mammoth Lakes, so, around 6 or 7 day trips. Trail runners sound fine for the trail, but I need warmth around the camps too. Would you just take along a pair of light but warm winter boots for camp, or down booties? My booties get wet and cold pretty quick outside.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

Ok so this may sound wacky, but why not get some trail runners big enuogh to put some ski boot liners in? The thermo moldable liners are very light and very warm, don't absorb water, should be the perfect thing. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but can't see why not.
For in camp, i use homemade polarguard booties and overbooties. The overbooties are knee high, very light shell, just for outside, while the booties stay on all the time.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Paul wrote:
Ok so this may sound wacky, but why not get some trail runners big enough to put some ski boot liners in? The thermo moldable liners are very light and very warm, don't absorb water, should be the perfect thing. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but can't see why not.
For in camp, i use homemade polarguard booties and overbooties. The overbooties are knee high, very light shell, just for outside, while the booties stay on all the time.
This is a great idea, and I have many inner boot liners just sitting inside my 4 pairs of giant Telemark boots. One pair are the light, moldable liners, but the kind that are split 3/4's of the way down? I may play around with these ideas Paul, but right now there's no time. Off to stock up on food, and get packing to go in tomorrow on an abbreviated version of the above mentioned Piute to Mammoth Pass snowshoe trip. Taking Bearzy, who I don't want to suffer 75 miles of icy snow, so we will go in from Rock Creek, and over Mono Pass instead. From there we'll pick up the JMT; over Silver Pass, then on to Duck Lake by Day 4, and return to via that scenic Deer Lakes/Mammoth Crest section of the Roper High Route.

This will be about 45 miles and 8,450 feet of elevation gain, over 5 days, which is more manageable for old men and dogs. I will wear my old, warm, super comfortable (if a bit heavy), Sorels. I may gamble on the firm snow, and take a very small, light pair of snowshoes, and Whippet tool-- no crampons or ice axe. My main worry is about possibly loose, faceted old snow, which is hell for Bearzy.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:48 amMy main worry is about possibly loose, faceted old snow, which is hell for Bearzy.
Avoid those north facing trees then, cuz there's quite a bit out there.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

C9h13no3 wrote:
Avoid those north facing trees then, cuz there's quite a bit out there.
Ya, live and learn. I should have avoided more than that-- most of the north and east slopes we crossed were pretty miserably deep and granular... the kind of surface that I have watched Bearzy suffer in before. I guess two additional weeks of heat and sun reduced the hardened surface of late January to this.
We made it to 11,000' up in Rock Creek, camping just below Ruby Lake. The next morning we left our packs, and walked all around the frozen Ruby Lake, and really enjoyed the views, and the perfect surface for a change. I balked on crossing over Mono Pass, in anticipation of more misery for Bearzy in the lower elevation forest sections. We turned our misadventure into a fun exploration of the foothills between the Sierra and the Whites, and then checked out some Nevada desert to warm back up. Just returned a few hours ago. When's the next snowfall coming?!