Challenges in getting permits this year

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Challenges in getting permits this year

Post by SirBC »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:10 am Does anyone know if once you get a permit for a block of days, does the system prevents you from overlapping days of another permit?
In the past when I've tried to book a permit on Recreation.gov for days that overlapped a permit I already had, it would not let me book the new permit with a warning telling me that I already had a permit on those days and that I would have to cancel the previous permit first if I wanted to book the new permit.
-------------
Dave | flickr
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

What rec.gov WILL allow you to do, though, is to book two (or several) one-night trips in a row … might need a day separating them, but it accomplishes the same thing as booking “overlapping” trips. You can monitor conditions, then pick the one you want to do, then cancel the unwanted ones and revise the end date on the one permit reservation you are keeping.
I’m not advising to do this, just saying the system allows it.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

SirBC that is not what happened to me. Last year, I had a permit for Cottonwood Lakes for August 2. When I learned that New Army Pass would require an ice axe, I booked a "walk'-in permit for Rafferty Creek in Yosemite for those same days. When I got the Rafferty permit, I then cancelled the Cottonwood Lakes permit. Recreation.gov didn't notice I had two permits for the same day. Also, in 2021 I had booked a permit for the River Trail in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. When a cancellation happened for Bishop Pass, I grabbed that permit and again Recreation.gov didn't notice I already had a permit for the same days. And Recreation.gov kept the $6 reservation fee for both cancellations.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

KT5519 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:02 am The thing that’s blowing my mind with Inyo is that even the less popular trailheads are selling out shortly after 7. Such as Taboose Pass. And McGee, although I guess I wouldn’t call that one unpopular. The problem is that those trailheads, and others like them, have a very small number of reservable permits, making them even more challenging to get. I keep wondering, is it that all roads lead to the JMT? And/or everyone that postponed due to conditions last summer are rescheduling? Maybe it will be a short lived phenomenon? (That’s probably rather optimistic…)
On the other hand, I just checked recreation.gov for the Sierra NF wilderness permits for west-side trailheads. For all of July and August, there are very few reservations! Most trailheads in the western Ansel Adams Wilderness, or the John Muir Wilderness accessed from Lake Edison, Florence Lake, Courtright Reservoir or Wishon Reservoir, still have their ENTIRE reservable quota, or close to it, still available on most days. Granted, there are long, winding roads to reach these west-side trailheads, not a straight shot up 395 and a quick spur to the trailhead on the east side. Still, the trailheads by Lake Edison and Florence Lake provide quick access to the JMT, easier even than from the east side. So access to the JMT can't be the only factor driving the competition for Inyo NF permits.

-Phil
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

LMBSGV wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:12 pm SirBC that is not what happened to me. Last year, I had a permit for Cottonwood Lakes for August 2. When I learned that New Army Pass would require an ice axe, I booked a "walk'-in permit for Rafferty Creek in Yosemite for those same days. When I got the Rafferty permit, I then cancelled the Cottonwood Lakes permit. Recreation.gov didn't notice I had two permits for the same day. Also, in 2021 I had booked a permit for the River Trail in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. When a cancellation happened for Bishop Pass, I grabbed that permit and again Recreation.gov didn't notice I already had a permit for the same days. And Recreation.gov kept the $6 reservation fee for both cancellations.
I can't remember the exact details of the trips I was trying to book, but I do remember both were in Inyo.
-------------
Dave | flickr
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

wildhiker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:18 am
KT5519 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:02 am The thing that’s blowing my mind with Inyo is that even the less popular trailheads are selling out shortly after 7. Such as Taboose Pass. And McGee, although I guess I wouldn’t call that one unpopular. The problem is that those trailheads, and others like them, have a very small number of reservable permits, making them even more challenging to get. I keep wondering, is it that all roads lead to the JMT? And/or everyone that postponed due to conditions last summer are rescheduling? Maybe it will be a short lived phenomenon? (That’s probably rather optimistic…)
On the other hand, I just checked recreation.gov for the Sierra NF wilderness permits for west-side trailheads. For all of July and August, there are very few reservations! Most trailheads in the western Ansel Adams Wilderness, or the John Muir Wilderness accessed from Lake Edison, Florence Lake, Courtright Reservoir or Wishon Reservoir, still have their ENTIRE reservable quota, or close to it, still available on most days. Granted, there are long, winding roads to reach these west-side trailheads, not a straight shot up 395 and a quick spur to the trailhead on the east side. Still, the trailheads by Lake Edison and Florence Lake provide quick access to the JMT, easier even than from the east side. So access to the JMT can't be the only factor driving the competition for Inyo NF permits.

-Phil
These Sierra NF permits are becoming the most reliable permits to get unless you sit hunched over your computer at 7am, exactly 6 months from the date you want to go. And even that is no guarantee. A system that requires these kinds of manipulations to get a permit is a broken system. This wilderness permit system has devolved from a voluntary free permit when it was implemented to the current monstrosity that is now in place.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Yeah, the whole quote/permit system is a MESS now. Seems like the permits all get snatched up. I was lucky enough to pull a JMT North of Reds for a quick section hike to Tuolomne... hopefully Donahue is passable by June 7th. Went back to find another section (was thinking Lamarck -> Bishop pass or something) for July and literally every permit for Lamarck/Piute/Bishop Pass is reserved for every single day of July/August.

I know a lot of people book then cancel or no show. But this can't possibly be the best system.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

this year's meetup would be an opportunity for collective civil disobedience

:angry:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please don't tie the HST Meetup to promoting civil disobedience; NPS and FS scan this site; thank you. [-X
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

maverick wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:00 pm
Please don't tie the HST Meetup to promoting civil disobedience; NPS and FS scan this site; thank you. [-X
Sure, I'll drop it, but only after I say this ---> who better to participate in civil disobedience than HST members, who are generally known to NPS and FS staff as being responsible users of public lands?