Rock Creek's Ruby Lake on Snowshoes with Bear, Feb. 9-11-2022

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rock Creek's Ruby Lake on Snowshoes with Bear, Feb. 9-11-2022

Post by bobby49 »

LMBSGV wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:18 am I liked that photo so much I had it drum scanned, which is why the detail comes through so well.
You might find that a flatbed image scanner isn't that expensive.

Back in the film days, I used to have to pay bucks to get my 35mm slides scanned professionally. Then I discovered that I could do just fine with my own scanner. My first big color scanner cost me $900. Now they are more like $100.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

On those winter photos, does the dog get edited _in_ or edited _out_?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

bobby49 wrote:
On those winter photos, does the dog get edited _in_ or edited _out_?
He's a real dog, not the photo-shopped species. For my sake, I would include Bearzy in even more shots than I do, but I know people who are ambivalent at best over domestic dogs in the wilderness, so I guess I do "edit" him out of some shots. I.e, this one:

100_0394.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

If you are showing the photo to a bunch of snowcampers, then they would understand the dog being left in the frame. If you were trying to sell the photo for scenery, then the dog would get edited out.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks! Awesome as usual. Strange winter. Hoping for a miracle March. Leave Bearzy in always.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Great to see all the photos Harlen! Thanks for the shoutout, we really appreciate it. It was great seeing you. We really do have some world class people contributing to this forum :)

Break crust is no fun for anyone, especially Banjo with 3 legs. The hot weather made us lose our supportable snow layers. Little snow but freezing temps this storm cycle.

Lawrence, I especially enjoyed your photos from kaweah basin and picket creek, such an amazing area! Sometimes i haul around my dads old minolta, it takes such a great photos.