I've got a topic. Tent recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

I've got a topic. Tent recommendations?

Post by Iriscaddis »

Going from an REI half Dome 2 to something lighter. Not into tarp covers just yet :)
Here's what I've come up with for summer backpacking (JMT). I want something that will last nor do I want to purchase a new tent every over season. I'm pretty careful with my gear. What is the forum's recommendations?
  • Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Bikepack. $550.3 lbs. 8 oz.
  • Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 mtnGLO Tent $550. 3 lbs. 3 oz.
  • MSR Hubba Hubba 2 $480.3 lbs 4 oz
  • NEMO Aurora 2P Tent with Footprint. $280 includes footprint. 5 lbs. 7 oz. HEAVY!!!!!!!!!
Thank you
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: I've got a topic. Tent recommendations?

Post by wildhiker »

Will this tent be used by one person or two?

My wife and I have been happy with a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent we purchased in 2010 and have used on multiple trips every year since. It's just 3 lbs total. A little tight for two people - we have to leave packs outside. I also use it for solo trips which allows me to bring everything inside and have lots of space. Still completely waterproof - even had water flowing under the tent during a thunderstorm last summer but no water got inside. I am careful about removing sharp objects before pitching it. The back pole strap did tear out of the tent during a very windy thunderstorm in 2018. I was able to use rocks to wedge the pole for the rest of that trip and then sew it up and apply seam sealer on my stitches at home. Works good as new. I recently had to send it back to Big Agnes to get the zipper sliders replaced for a reasonable fee as the zipper was not closing well.

-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had a Copper Spur solo tent for several years and was very happy with it. A pole eventually broke so I sent it in to be fixed- service was easy, quick and basically free. UL tents are a bit more fragile, so I always used a groundsheet I cut to fit out of Tyvak. The final demise of the tent was due broken zippers. I may have been able to have them fixed, but by that time the fly was also beginning to fail. Overall, 4-5 years of frequent use. The Copper Spur is a bit heavier than the Fly Creek but I like the side entry.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

For some years now I've used a Cuben Fiber shelter. Technically, I can't call it a tent since it has no integral floor, but I make up for that with a DIY Cuben Fiber floor. It pitches with one trekking pole in the center. The good news is the weight. Counting the shelter, floor, cords, and titanium stakes, the total weight is well under one pound. The other good news is that it is very rainproof and bugproof.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Similar story! I had an REI Half-Dome 2 and wanted to go lighter...and then even lighter a few years later.

First go at it...I looked into a number of options with emphasis on free-standing. They boiled down to:
~ BA Copper Spur HV UL
~ Sling Fin Portal
~ Exped Mira
~ MSR Hubba Hubba NX2

It very quickly became obvious that the "1 person" versions when offered were way too cramped for me. Ridiculous really to call them one person tents. When set up on my lounge floor I imagined spending a couple of days weather stuck in them (as has happened to me) and no way. So I switched to the "2" versions.

The Sling Fin was out of stock as good as indefinitely at the time. The Mira was a "maybe" and I think was also not available. I set up the Hubba Hubba on the floor in REI and was unimpressed. Here are my notes on it...

MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 = NO!
- Complicated poles configuration v. plain 2 x dome arcs.
- Double poles “hubs” even more of a hassle to deal with.
- Roof of tent is a concave water trap if no Fly on.
- Inside shape and feeling is not as nice as the BA Copper Spur.
- No storage pockets inside???
- Not quick clip-style fly attachment at corners.
- Did not like the ‘side-loading’ stuff sack.
- Still small tent for supposedly two people!

Then set up the BA Copper Spur HV UL2. Here are my notes on that...I bought it.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL-2 = YES!
- Poles easier to set up.
- Nicer shape and feeling inside.
- Lots of pockets inside.
- 12 oz. lighter than the MSR Hubba!

I have used it for three trips so far and am very happy with it. It's a very 'livable in' tent and has tons of room inside and in the vestibules.

Second go at it...This winter I considered trying to lower my starting pack weight by another 4 to 5 pounds, especially for 'summer' periods (v. shoulder). With not much more to trim except tent, backpack, sleeping pad and switching from a bearcan to an Ursack (only in National Forests though for the can switch), I reviewed a number of tent possibilities. Like you I am not ready to go with tarp covers, plus wanted durability. The 10 Dernier stuff (like with Nemo Hornet) struck me as being a little bit too fragile for my comfort. Cuben materials are too noisy and just kinda "off" for my ??? sensitivities ???...or something. I still preferred free standing but was not fixed on that, though absolutely wanted the option to not use trekking poles in case I did not like using them for hiking [Just got my first pair]. Thus the list went to...
~ Durston tents like X-Mid...but has been sold out for a while.
~ SlingFin SplitWing Shelter Bundle.
~ Gossamer Gear The One, or The Two.
~ Tarptent where a number of choices seemed possible.

With the all too common lately "out of stock" thing, choices boiled down to Gossamer Gear and Tarptent...with my final choice going to Tarptent Rainbow (standard) as it has lots of space. Is a hybrid dual-wall. Can be free standing with trekking poles. Is made of 30D fabric...and was actually available!
With the carbon fiber poles option and full load out it comes in at 32 ounces, so a pound less than the BA Copper Spur - which is not earth shatteringly less, but it packs smaller so can fit in my smaller and much lighter secondary backpack.

Hope this helps. Best ~ Zimichael
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

+1 to all the recommendations above. I'll just chime-in to add more praise for the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2.

Similar to you, @Iriscaddis, last year I upgraded from REI Half Dome 2 to the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2. When I'm on solo trips I prefer to use my cuben fiber tarp. . . but when my partner joins me in the wilderness, we prefer to use a real tent. So far, we've loved the Copper Spur, and have backpacked with it a dozen times in the backcountry so far. No issues observed yet. Coming from the REI HD2, the reduction in weight was very noticeable and welcome. I also love the generous pocket space inside the Copper Spur.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I previously had a Hubba Hubba NX and did not like it for all the reasons elucitated by michelzim plus a leaky floor. Last year, my choice got down to the Big Agenes Copper Spur HV UL and the Mountain Hardware Aspect 2. I went with the Mountain Hardware Aspect and think it's the best tent I've ever had. My only complaint is the inside pockets are triangularly shaped and if you have glasses like I do, that's an annoyance for storing the glasses. The Aspect 2 has a packed weight that is 3 ounces more than the Big Agnes, but the ceiling is 1 inch higher and there is 0.3 more square feet if you're into a really minute comparisons. Also, the floor is a slightly thicker on the Aspect (I think that's where the 3 ounces go). The REI comparison does not have a size on the vestibule on the Aspect, but I think it's about the same as the Copper Spur. There's definitely plenty of room in the vestibule--at least it fits my pack and a pair of shoes with room to spare. As a footprint, I use the one that came with the Hubba Hubba, but there are lots of alternatives suggested in the various posts if you want a footprint.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Tent reviews usually target the average to bigger backpackers, mostly men. Being a small woman, I specifically look for tents that are reviewed as "too small" for regular people! Another consideration with a larger tent is where you plan to setup. Established campsites along a trail usually are large. If you do a lot of off-trail, in a krumholtz nitch, or rocky ground, the "footprint" size of a tent is important. I am currently using a Tarptent Notch, previously a Tarptent Moment. Both are excessively large and long for me. I find that many smaller "perfect" sites do not work with these. I would estimate that I spend perhaps 5-10 minutes more each night finding a tent site that works. Free-standing tents also fit smaller sites better. The best thing about a free-standing tent is that once put together you can easily move it around if you have to adjust for a rock, slope or drainage issue. Anyway, think about this before going from a solo tent to a 2-man tent. How many nights to you plan on needing extra room to sit out a storm? vs how many nights you typically camp on size-restricted sites.

Regardless of all the neat features, size, etc., the number one criterion for me is weather-worthiness. Nothing worse than a collapsed leaky tent. Also, not having a huge backpacking budget, I want a tent that will last for several years of high use, yet not cost a small fortune. These two thing usually mean a bit more weight than true UL tents.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm betting you have quivers of stuff, so why was the cost issue brought into it? A good tent is worth it's weight.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

WOW, what great responses from all of you. Weird because I did't receive the usual email notifications so excuse the late reply.
@Wandering Daisy, I completely agree with you on weather worthy tents and I just don't want to deal with buying every season.
@michaelzim, very informational and I've not looked into the other recommendations you cite. I will.
But based on this thread it appears that the Copper Spur may be the pick over the others offerings. I am looking forward to my future selection and will circle back. Cheers!