Fall Colors (I need to plan ahead)

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Fall Colors (I need to plan ahead)

Post by Bernard »

Hello all,

I am hoping to host my in-laws for their first visit to the Sierra Nevada this fall. My mother in law wants very much to see quality fall colors while my father in law is a western film fanatic so the idea is to go over Tioga Pass (we will be first in the Yosemite area) and ideally catch fall colors as we descend towards Lee Vining and along the 395 corridor. Then, we will cap it off with treating my father in law to the film fest in Lone Pine. It's a lot of road but we will build in stops etc. etc. We are talking Oct. 5-9 - roughly.

I know that this is way ahead of schedule but they are coming from out of state and we wish to plan carefully.

Ok, all that said, I welcome any insights or votes of confidence that our time frame will in fact offer these fall colors. Years and years of travel in this region have indicated that this should be good but I am always focused on fishing and admittedly, look at the aspens and other trees as an incidental side note. Slap me!

Please chime in and thank you,
Bernard
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fall Colors (I need to plan ahead)

Post by bobby49 »

In general, the fall colors tend to happen first in the higher elevations of aspen trees, and then move to the middle elevations. However, we seldom have any control over the night temperatures and how they affect the colors. First, make yourself a list of the target locations, perhaps starting in the north and then moving southward. Be prepared to hop north and south a bit as things change.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

bobby49 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:16 pm In general, the fall colors tend to happen first in the higher elevations of aspen trees, and then move to the middle elevations. However, we seldom have any control over the night temperatures and how they affect the colors. First, make yourself a list of the target locations, perhaps starting in the north and then moving southward. Be prepared to hop north and south a bit as things change.
Yeah, the first week of October is generally peak for higher elevations. Virginia Lakes, North Lake & Bishop Creek, Sagehen Summit, and upper Rock Creek Lake are the first sites to peak, sometimes as early as the last week in September.

Follow the website below once it gets close. The Mono & Inyo county chambers of commerce try to steer people to the peaking destinations. If you're willing to drive an hour or so, there will be something good.

https://www.californiafallcolor.com/
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Bernard »

Thank you Bobby and Adrenaline. This really helps!