2022 Fire/Smoke Impact Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Oak Fire Update 7/24

Post by maverick »

Wow! The Oak Fire exploded overnight to 14,821 acres by 7:56 AM and containment is at 0%. :eek:

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2022/7/22/oak-fire/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2022 Fire/Smoke Impact Reports

Post by SSSdave »

kpeter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:20 am July 23 just after midnight smoke moved up the Mono Creek drainage and woke me at Fourth Recess Lake. I put on a KN95 I carried with me for allergies and it helped me sleep...

When you wrote about your upcoming Pioneer Basin trip while the Washburn Fire was active, wondered given windy dot com 10-day wind forecasts if that was going to be far enough south and east. I also wondered if we days earlier were going to see smoke up Hilton Creek, that is not much further away. We had spectacular clear atmospheres with daily cumulus monsoon buildups but just a few sprinkles. I expected to try Bear Ridge this week into the Volcanic Knob zone that is hardly any more south, but this Sunday morning the https://fire.airnow.gov/ smoke map shows smoke all the way south over the whole range and all the way down to LA and San Diego.
andypl100
Topix Novice

Post by andypl100 »

Perhaps a glimmer of hope with the Oak fire. It's very close on its N/NE perimeter to hitting the fire boundaries from 2018 and 2019. That would likely limit its spread in those directions.
2022-07-24_09-17-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

andypl100 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:18 am Perhaps a glimmer of hope with the Oak fire. It's very close on its N/NE perimeter to hitting the fire boundaries from 2018 and 2019. That would likely limit its spread in those directions.
I was hoping so too, until I saw this image. It looks like there's a lot that's still left to burn.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Oak Fire Update 7/25

Post by maverick »

Mariposa Sheriff's Dept:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Oak Fire Update 7/26

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF:

frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

we were out 7/22 til 7/26 via courtwright/maxson.

we went to bed with crystal clear skies on 7/22 at hell for sure lake but smelled strong smoke overnight and woke on 7/23 to haze. you could actually see the smoke plume from the oak fire from the ridge behind the lake.

7/23 was really smoky in goddard canyon but not as bad by late afternoon at lake 10,232.

7/24 went from mild smoke to totally clear, and that thankfully continued for the 25th and 26th as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Oak Fire Update 7/28

Post by maverick »

SNF:
296447657_425784772923340_4428603091918551276_n.jpg
296206772_425784776256673_3817661133611647636_n.jpg
296298222_425784819590002_1524129335689828325_n.jpg
295481652_425840436251107_1790463961790253158_n.jpg

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Wishon Fire 8/16

Post by maverick »

InciWeb:
Firefighters responded to the Wishon Fire yesterday afternoon, located in the Tule River Canyon near The Stairs on the Western Divide Ranger District in Sequoia National Forest. Personnel from USDA Forest Service, CAL FIRE, Tulare County, and other cooperators are on scene, including 9 engines, 7 hand crews, 5 helicopters, air attack and 6 air tankers.

The fire is estimated at 350 acres in size with 5% containment. Campers at Wishon Campground were asked to leave the area. Residents in the community of Doyle Springs were allowed to remain in place unless conditions worsened. Highway 190 is open to residents only between Rio Vista Drive just above Springville to the PG&E powerhouse near Wishon due to fire suppression activity taking place from the highway. Traffic will be reduced to single lane and controlled by Caltrans and CHP.

Tulare County Sheriff Mike Boudreaux has issued an evacuation warning for the following areas: All points along Wishon Drive north of Highway 190, including Camp Wishon and the community of Doyle Springs. If you live in this area, be prepared to leave. The evacuation warning is NOT a mandatory evacuation order. The warning means there is a potential threat to life and/or property. Power is out east of Balch Park due to the fire. Communities of Doyle Springs, Camp Nelson, Pierpoint, and Ponderosa are without power at this time.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. No injuries have been reported. Information will continue to be updated as it becomes available.

Update - single lane traffic is now open to residents only and being controlled by CHP and Caltrans between Rio Vista Drive and PG&E Powerhouse on Highway 190

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Mosquito Fire 9/8

Post by maverick »

Cal Fire Incident
Size: 6,807 Acres

Contained: 0%

2 Counties: El Dorado and Placer

Last Update: 09/08/22 12:24 PM

Date Started:
09/06/22 6:00 PM

Location Information: near OxBow Reservoir east of Forest Hill, Placer County

Lat/Long: [39.00591, -120.7447]

Administrative Unit:
Unified Command: CAL FIRE Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit, USFS Tahoe National Forest, Foresthill Fire Protection District, and Placer County Sheriff’s Office

Cause: Under Investigation