2022 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2022 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by maverick »

We'd appreciate any and all reports (with photos if you have them) of river and stream crossing conditions in the Sierra. Please include name of stream, creek, or river crossed, and the date, in the Subject Title.
Last edited by copeg on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unsticky
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
randydarden
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lake Eleanor and Kibbie Lake April 17-19

Post by randydarden »

Crossed Kibbie Creek and an unnamed tributary to its east on a round trip from Lake Eleanor to and from Kibbie Creek. I took the unnamed easternmost trail on the way there (38.012072, -119.864288) and the crossing was pretty intense at 11am: water up to my thighs, fast-moving but in my opinion OK if you've got some experience and trekking poles. Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/muFVeWnAJdgHqQKW7

I took the western trail back to the Kibbie Ridge Trailhead and that crossing (38.042583, -119.853754) was easier: about 18 inches deep though still fast-moving.

These trails also have a number of underwater portions, about 3-8 inches deep.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2022 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by kpeter »

I just called the Summit Ranger Station to find out anything about the crossing of W Fork Cherry Creek in Emigrant. They said someone had come out yesterday who had managed the crossing but said it was running high. Snow around Jewel and Deer Lakes, he said.

If anyone crosses W Fork Cherry Creek in the next few days please chime in, I am trying to determine if I and my brother can manage it next week, or whether we should change destinations.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

check out the new post in "conditions", above.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

whoops, i also just posted in the conditions page about crossing w fork cherry (via bourland, however). someone could move it here if that's better? my bad.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Lily, Pauite, West Fork Cherry Creeks 5/30-6/3

Post by kpeter »

West Emigrant Crossings May 30-June 3.

Lily and Paiute Creeks, on both the high and the low trail were easily fordable, no more than knee deep.

West Fork Cherry creek on the high trail was slightly more than knee high on June 2, cold, slow, sandy bottom, 40' across. Safe but unpleasant only because of the cold.

We crossed West Ford Cherry Creek on the low trail several hundred yards North of the official crossing at a point where the water spreads out after a cascade. It was ankle deep as it sheeted across the granite. Easy and fun. Did not look at the official crossing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

East Fork Cherry Creek, 5/27-5/29

Post by Harlen »

East Fork Cherry Creek reputedly easy to avoid the first 2 crossings south and then SE of Lord's Meadow, heading upstream from below Styx Pass. Third crossing was said to be dangerous on 5/27 by a solo hiker we met. [photo spot] We all crossed this deep, but slow and easy water of the East Fork of Cherry at the top of Huckleberry Lake on 5/29.

IMG_7809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Pine Creek on the way to Granite Park from Honeymoon Lake

Post by Love the Sierra »

3 wet crossings, not deep and not wide, about to my knees. (I am short) Water was moving briskly, but not dangerous or hard at all if you picked the right path. We felt poles and wading shoes were a must.
Lenier
Topix Regular

SFKR Paradise Valley 6/4

Post by Lenier »

Crossed South Fork Kings River at Upper Paradise, water to mid thigh in mid day if crossed at the right spot- just downstream of the bridge, just upstream from the island.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Bishop Pass Trail to Pass 6/10 - 6/12

Post by shawnterustic »

All water crossings between South Lake and Bishop Pass are navigable over rocks, although folks with shorter legs might get their toes wet on the last big one before Saddlerock / Bishop lakes.