2022 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
TFTF
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kearsarge to Whitney via Old JMT & SoSHR, July 24-30

Post by TFTF »

Kearsarge Pass Trail / JMT junction: 1-2
Center Basin: 1-2
Wright Lakes Basin: 1 (windy)
Wallace Creek: 1 (windy)
Upper Boy Scout: 1-2
Trail Camp: 1
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Hilton Creek Lakes Basin - Jul 30-31

Post by shawnterustic »

Hilton Creek Lake #4 (i.e. the one that sets you up for Stanford N.) - 2
Hilton Creek Lakes #5 and up - 1
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bubb's Creek>Charlotte Lake>East Lake 7/29-7/31

Post by Captain Slappy »

Bubbs Creek/Charlotte Creek area, 7/29 - 1
East Lake, 7/30 - 3 (got bitten up pretty good, but they weren't swarming so Deet and covering up helped)
Kearsarge Pass and JMT, 7/31 - 1 (it was quite stormy though)
Last edited by maverick on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject matter
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Bubbs/Reflection/Center Basin/Forester/Milestone Basin and back again. 7/26-8/3

Post by michaelzim »

I'm going to just do an overview as the mosquitoes thing was kind of bizzare...then the big storm had an effect as well.

Most places were a 2 with easy avoidance c/o a headnet (the best invention!). However, many places were a zero with none at all, even in forests and of course open granite terrain...BUT, not always. There were places all along the route where I would get into full sun, mostly granite, and the skeeters would be buzzing around again at a level 2. Then I would drop into wet (lots of wet!) thick forest and they would disappear?!?
Full daylight. Dawn. Dusk. Time of day did not have much effect as often in evenings coming out of the tent after avoiding another drenching there would be not a one even in prime locations near lake or swampy ground.
Also, I think??? the huge amount of rain in places may have just drowned and crushed the buggers?!? Three days later on same trail sections I was outbound and now returning on = nothing. Too soon for that much difference.
The most aggressive skeeters were in the upper Kern River area near entry to Milestone Basin. They were a 3 in full day but they too had been tempered by the storm on return. Their kin, that had some protection from the deluge in trees around 11,000 ft. though were still present.
The Kern cut-off trail junction by that little lake was the worst of the whole trip = 10,700 ft. but from what I could tell elevation in general (except above 12,000 ft.) did not make much difference to the "mozzies" puzzle pattern.

Sorry, bit of a garbage mosquito report, but I could not figure it out out there anyhow! ~ Best, Michaelzim
Last edited by maverick on Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject matter
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Re: Rafferty Creek to Upper Lyell Fork of the Merced 8/7-8/11

Post by AaronRDavis »

1 almost everywhere, surprisingly even in many of the recent monsoon rain soaked and wet areas. Maybe a few at dusk near water, but not bad. I brought Picardin and applied it preemptively just once.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Upper Middle Fork of Bishop Creek basin 8/10>15/2022

Post by SSSdave »

Over 6 days never used DEET as mosquito levels either 1 or 2 during trip except in marshy areas. Note have full body covering clothing and head gear. At sunsets, a few always did get into my tent, I'd then have to smash.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

8/7 thru 8/17 - Red Rock Basin, Red Mtn Basin, Bench Vly, Blackcap Basin, Blue Canyon, , Tunemah, Goddard Ck, Goddard Cn

Post by paul »

O to 1 everywhere. Never broke out the juice.
generalelectrix
Topix Novice

Lower Emigrant Wilderness 8/26-8/28

Post by generalelectrix »

Bourland Meadow TH -> Big Lake and vicinity
0 everywhere, I don't think I saw a single mosquito the entire trip. Lots of annoying gnats/flies, though.