Another fun topic - What stove?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Another fun topic - What stove?

Post by Iriscaddis »

I've got another interesting topic and would like to hear your experiences and recommendations on STOVES!
  • SOTO Windmaster or Amicus?
  • MSR PocketRocket?
  • Esbit?
Looking to lighten the load and leave the JetBoil behind. I'm leaning to the SOTO windmaster. I keep reading MSR's fall apart - urban myth?
Esbit while light, takes longer but hey, you're in the woods so what's the rush :)
Location is the Sierra, so definitely at elevation >8000'

Thanks for your input.
NorCal_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Another fun topic - What stove?

Post by NorCal_Hiker »

I bought the Windmaster at the beginning of last season and like it a lot. Starts every time, light, good flame control for a small stove, seems to heat well. No data on reliability as I’ve only used it about a dozen times so far.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

@NorCal_Hiker , super. Thanks for the post. Yes I've heard good things about it. Not sure why REI does not carry the stoves, only a limited amount of SOTO merchandise.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

PocketRocket. Best stove I've ever owned. Built tough, never clogged, never failed. I've used it extensively in the backcountry since 2001. I still have my old MSR liquid gas stove too -- the model that works with white gas as well as other fuel sources, but it has been retired due to the weight advantage of the PocketRocket.

Mike
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

I have a Pocket Rocket 2 and a Pocket Rocket Deluxe. I prefer the Deluxe because of the wider burner (very similar to the Soto), the better shielding from the wind (again,very Sotoesque), and the fuel regulator. It seems like it burns less fuel as well.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think this better belongs in the "outdoor gear" section.
Gogd
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gogd »

MSRs falling apart is a myth. I know at least a dozen Pocket Rocket users, including myself; none of us experienced our stoves falling apart. But I will comment, if you spill stuff into the burner, it may find its way down inside the valve gas port, dry up, and end up blocking the fuel route. Happened on an MSR and two other brands as well. I think this is a potential liability of all over-canister stoves. After I stopped letting my fumble fingered companion around the stove, I've had no problems since 1998. Just don't let your clumsy companion do any cooking!

Most over-canister stoves are about the same, it seems the hottest ones usually weigh more. Caution if selecting a stove with a Ti pot stand, the stands of some models soften under high flame heat and fail.

Another consideration is what/how you cook. Over canister stoves are fine for water boiling, but if you want to pan fry something or do real cooking in a pot, the small burners of most over canister stoves concentrate the heat in too small of a spot, causing food to scorch.

I would not choose esbit. They are cute from a minimalist/survivalist POV, but not enough heat for most people to do more than heat a cup of tea.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

Iriscaddis wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:47 pm Looking to lighten the load and leave the JetBoil behind.
If you're looking to lighten the load then it depends on the length of your trip and your hot water usage.

I can offer my experience. I use a Jetboil MicroMo. Jetboil says it can boil 12 liters on a 100 gram (3.5 ounce) can of fuel. I have verified this to be true over several years of backcountry use. It is very fuel efficient.

Outdoor Gear Lab (link below) reviewed the Soto stove and they claim that in calm conditions, the stove uses 0.5 ounces of fuel per liter of boiled water. So, that's 7 liters per 100 gram can. It might be less in windy conditions. The Jetboil is nearly twice as efficient.

I use about 1 liter of hot water per day for morning coffees and dinner. For a long trip, say 10 days, the Jetboil is the lighter option for me, since using a Soto would require a bigger and heavier fuel canister. For shorter trips, like 7 days, I end up carrying extra fuel, since the Jetboil is so efficient. I could lighten the load by a few ounces on these trips by using a Soto, but I'm cheap and I don't need another stove.

Note: The Jetboil Flash is 10 liters of boiled water per 100 gram can since it doesn't have the simmer control of the MicroMo.

If I'm being a gram weenie on a given trip, I just leave some the Jetboil components behind. The orange pot stand weighs 1 ounce and I find that I don't need it. It stays home. I rarely use the lid, saves another ounce. The measuring cup weighs an ounce and is not needed since there are marks on the inside of the pot. One could also remove the neoprene pot cover, trim it, and reinstall to save some weight. I haven't done this since I find the neoprene to be one of my favorite features... no burned fingers or lips.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... windmaster
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

I have used my pocket rocket for nearly 20 years in freezing, windy and rainy conditions. It has never failed. However, when it is really windy, with gusts of over approx 25mph, it will go out and be hard to ignite, despite best efforts at making a wind break. I have searched for lighter systems tan my pocket rocket and titanium 1 liter Snow Pack pot and have not found one. HOWEVER, a friend who has done even more hiking than me said that the Jet boil is lighter when you take into account less fuel usage and the fact that it will stand up to wind better so fewer ignitions. I have not verified this but I really intend to try it and see.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

Great replies and much to consider. Good to hear the positive reports on MSR.

@Love the Sierra about JetBoil being lighter overall. Damn we can get into the weeds with this stuff but then you see hikers with 5lbs+ in camera gear. Lol. I’ve even seen a hiker with a MacBook Pro. Good grief. 😂