Sequoia Tablelands partner

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sequoia Tablelands partner

Post by Lenier »

I'm looking for someone to go on a Sequoia tablelands trip this summer. Perhaps early July?

I've done some off-trail hiking in Garfield Grove, in the Ranger-Lost Lake area, and various short ventures when backpacking in Sequoia. I have probably 30-40 nights backpacking experience, including the HST.

I've always wanted to go to Moose lake, and now I'm curious about Tableland pass and Big Bird Lake. I'm fairly confident I'd be fine on my own, but someone with some experience to go with would be fantastic. I hate hiking alone as is! If you've got a group going, I'd be down to join as well.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sequoia Tablelands partner

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Howdy, Central Cal (!)

I'd like to go with you to Tablelands. I've been there twice, and often want to return, there. Let me know. I'm an independent contractor, so, whatever days work for you, work for me. I have taken the way to Tablelands from Alta Peak. Also, I have gotten there from that campground involving a scramble up the right side of the waterfalls. Cheers, JOSIAH.

Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

MIght take you up on that! What itinerary have you taken before when traveling up that way? I'm hoping for at least a 2 night trip, leaving space for 3 nights just in case more than likely. Depends on how the melt goes - I may go in May, but unsure of when.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Great! I understand there's not a lot, of snow. I'd prefer closer to May, than July. Anywhere between 2 and 7 nights, works with me. Other than that, I'm open to any itinerary. Thank you. *
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I've been watching the MK webcam, basically as soon as Farewell Gap has melted I feel it's game on for the tablelands.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Great ! I saw mk-webcam... says,

"The upper image (FAREWELL GAP) is a view looking south along the axis of the Mineral King valley. The East Fork of the Kaweah River is in the foreground. Farewell Gap, at 10,586 feet, is in the center of the image with the Little Kern River valley beyond. It is framed by West Florence Peak at 11,783 feet on the left , and by Vandever Mountain, at 11,947 feet, on the right. Bearskin Patch, a nearly year-round snow field is seen on the upper western slope of Vandever. Farewell Gap was the path taken in 1862 by Harry Parole when he "discovered" the Mineral King valley . This webcam is located 3.7 miles from Farewell Gap at an elevation of 7,830 feet. The Crowley Family is greatfully acknowledged for hosting this webcam."
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Our threads with "tableland" or "tablelands" in title:

9 matches "tableland" in title.

search.php?keywords=Tableland&terms=all ... mit=Search

33 matches "tablelands" in title.

search.php?keywords=Tablelands&terms=al ... mit=Search

(End.)
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I'm going to attempt an Alta summit tomorrow and I'll be able to scout out snow levels from there.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Snow starts on forested south faces around 9200, closer to 8000 for northern faces. For wide open areas that aren't forested, snow doesn't begin until about 10,000.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Saw this pic of the tablelands taken today: