Tioga Road Opens On 5/27

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tioga Road Opens On 5/27

Post by maverick »

YNP:
Tioga Road (the continuation of Highway 120 through the park) is scheduled to open to vehicular traffic on Friday, May 27, 2022, at 9 am. A reservation is required to drive into *or through* Yosemite between 6 am and 4 pm through September 30; this includes travelers passing through the park on Tioga Road. Visit https://go.nps.gov/reserve for more information.

Road work has already begun in the Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows areas. Expect delays of up to 30 minutes during the day and one hour at night from Sunday nights through Friday afternoons.

Glacier Point Road is closed this year due to a major road rehabilitation project.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tioga Road Opens On 5/27

Post by Silky Smooth »

Makes me think of Mark and his posts this time of year, you could feel the excitement in his words!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Drove over Tioga Pass on 7/4 (eastbound) and 7/8 (westbound). Delays on Monday were about 30 mins (half flagger, half slow due to gravel). On Friday, total delay was about 1:10 (55 mins flagger, two stops). The paving work is in full swing from Olmsted point through TM. Parking along that stretch is mostly blocked off. They are adding curbs along major portions of the route. It is not clear where there will be enough parking, especially near Cathedral trailhead and also near Sunrise.

Consider taking 108 if just driving across for the next month or two, especially on weekdays.

Also, smoke from the Washburn fire was affecting air quality and views from about Tenaya Lake to Porcupine Creek.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

The drive over Tioga Pass is much better now. There is at least a first layer of pavement in place across the full 12 mile construction zone (Olmstead to TM) in each direction. The 2nd layer is in place across a majority of it, so no gravel travel anymore. Lot's of work remains on turnouts, curbs, striping, etc., and signs say no parking for the 12 mile stretch.

They've removed Cathedral TH roadside parking -- use the TM visitor center lot now for that TH (hopefully with added parking). I drove through after construction hours this time, so it's not clear to me what current wait times are.