Inyo Wilderness Permit Gripe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Inyo Wilderness Permit Gripe

Post by bobby49 »

The first time that I had a wilderness permit was on Mount Whitney in 1976. It was one of those self-issued permits. When I was starting down from the summit, a national park ranger came along and asked to see the permit. That made a believer out of me that permits were necessary. I wonder why we can't return to the self-issued permits.

For that matter, now we could have "frequent flyer" ID cards for wilderness permits. That would certainly allow a reduction in paperwork and permit-writing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think a "frequent user" ID is a great idea.

I am still confused. I got a permit for Bishop Pass and the e-mail I received still has "permit issue stations" listed on the bottom. Is that still there just to cover those who do not have access to printers? Can anyone request to have their permit and all the other stuff printed and put out in a pick-up box?
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

If you don't have a printer (I don't), you can download the permit a week before your trip to a flash drive
and take it to UPS or similar to be printed. A ranger from the wilderness office in Lone Pine told me about that option.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:01 am I think a "frequent user" ID is a great idea.

I am still confused. I got a permit for Bishop Pass and the e-mail I received still has "permit issue stations" listed on the bottom. Is that still there just to cover those who do not have access to printers? Can anyone request to have their permit and all the other stuff printed and put out in a pick-up box?
The "frequent user" ID aspect I think has been "utilized" to some degree by the fact that we now have to fill in just about all the info on a permit and print out the CA campfire stuff, etc., etc. This suggestion was raised a number of times last year to expedite issuance not to avoid having a permit need per se. The 'counter' was that each individual permit still had to be issued each time anyway so the time saving was purely the filling in of the personal details (see above) by us instead of the ranger. The "sign off" by the ranger/office still had to be done by them. And still is by Sierra, SEKI, etc. - until Inyo here came along with these self-print permits!

In relation to getting Inyo permits...Yeah it can be confusing and I have very little direct experience with it as can hardly ever get any permits!!!
The methods seem to be:
1. Self-print option and no contact with the rangers needed.
2. Request an email confirmation and then print it.
3. Phone and request an in person pickup from a live, open, servicing ranger station/Visitor Center. (See the list at bottom of this link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pas ... rdb5356869

Personally, unless I get a lot more time under my belt with Inyo permits I am going to make sure I phone them to make sure I have it right - unless I happen to do a self-print option, which is unlikely if I have to snag a last minute cancellation luck-out.
This info below neglects to make it clear whether permits too can be picked up from the Visitor Centers for "in person service" etc. From the conversations I have had, now that Covid has supposedly moved on, this is of course possible...but drop boxes or out of hours pickups like Sierra NF does...I'm not sure. I would phone or email in advance to get that one clear!
Inyo - Permits.JPG
M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted

Post by Trailguru »

I did speak with a ranger at the Inyo NF in Lone Pine last week and she said since the Covid pandemic they had lost many rangers to the great resignation and just were too understaffed to go back to the old ways. The self check-in was one of the ways to help plug the gaps. I'm sure the company behind recreation.gov is making a killing of taxpayers' money but that's what happens when Gov't contracts goes to private companies. I wouldn't be surprised if backcountry permits and camping permits steadily goes up dollar by dollar every few years (and no inflation won't be the main reason)

Of course, the issue of unused permits going unused and disallowing people could be seen as an issue to some. Someone has already mentioned it but using historical data they should be able to know how many per week are using the Trailheads and what quota has been reached and determine a better amount to let in each day. Overall though I do like the new system better. There was a certain thrill to showing up before 8am at the Lone Pine station and be lined up with a bunch of people hoping to get your TH permit but there were times we had to change plans on the spot because of permits not being available. At least those days won't happen anymore.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

True "walk-in" permits have advantages for early season flexibility. A few times, I started in on a trip and had to retreat due to conditions. I would just go to the nearest permit office, pick up a same-day walk-in and do an alternate trip. Or I would have 3-4 trips planned, go the Mono Lake Visitor Center and get current information on each, then choose one, get a permit and go in same day. I never stood in line for more than 5 minutes. They were very efficient at Mono and there were plenty of 11AM "no-shows".

If the office is open, I do not see the difference between a tourist walking into an Inyo office and taking 10-15 minutes of their time for whatever questions are asked versus writing me a permit. They can streamline it a lot. They could charge same as reserve.gov and keep all the cash. They get $0 from the tourist. Yes, there would be a line. If you do not like standing in line, then reserve your permit. With the reservation system there would not be that many of us who would want walk-in permits. To track no-shows, what about a bar code on reservation, swipe it, and a box opens, and you pick up your permit? It seems that with a bit of creative thinking no-show permits could be re-issued. They would get double fees on no-shows that are used.

They could at least try a hybrid system for a year and evaluate how it works.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

FWIW -- I was in Mesa Verde last week, and one of the staff at the Visitor Center lamented the recreation.gov system as much as some of us do, in terms of it severely curtailing spontaneity. :tear:
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Now that the season is over, I encourage people to go to recrebot.com and reach out if you'd like a tool to help you out.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SierraMountainSpirit
Topix Newbie

Post by SierraMountainSpirit »

Good morning,
I woke up happy and optimistic, logging into Recreation.gov for getting a group of five of us into Bishop or Piaute Pass Trailheads For Aug 18 2025. I was so excited when there were blue numbers showing open spots at 7 am pacific. Once I clicked submit, I got the following terrible notification:

ERROR CREATING RESERVATION
This is a popular Site and unfortunately Someone else has the reserved it for the selected date Please adjust your dates

I tried for all the other blue open available ones, and got the same pop up window. Everything was a W by the time it was 7:02 am

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for success in the Bishop Pass (South Lake) and Paiute Pass areas for a small group using the Rec.gov site.
Seems like some bots are buying these up immediately perhaps (anyone here an IT guru who can help me get one of these insta-bots?)

Hope to see some of you in the eastern and high Sierra soon

-Sierra Mountain Spirit
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Yes, I've gotten that permit on rec.gov before, but it takes quick fingers and steady nerves. I feel your pain.