Backpacks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Backpacks

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am fooling around with the old packs I own to see if I can salvage them for use. I am also open to a new pack: woman's small, that fit a bear can horizontally and are rated for 35-40 pounds, and the pack weighing 2-3 pounds, with 55-65 liter capacity. REI sale on now so would like to use my discount if I can decide on a pack. Granite Gear packs are out of consideration because the Crown 60 I had was very uncomfortable.

Possibilities are:
Gregory Facet 55
Osprey Eja 58
Osprey Renn(?)

Anyone have experience with these (or the men's equivalent which have different names)
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Backpacks

Post by Lenier »

I'm wondering if this might be of interest to you. It's a framed pack designed to carry a bear canister in a much friendlier way. 35 lb carrying capacity.

https://nunatakusa.com/bear-canister-co ... -no_thanks
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

My wife uses an Osprey Eja 58 (2 lbs 9 oz) and likes it a lot. Pretty sure it'll fit a BV500 horizontally on the bottom. I'm on year 8 of using a Six Moon Designs Fusion 65 (the older version which weighs 2 lbs 7 oz), and recently picked up both the Granite Gear Crown2 60 and the older version of the Osprey Exos 58 (the one with hipbelt pockets) for when my SMD Fusion finally gives up the ghost. Haven't taken either of them out on overnight trips yet, only day hikes, but both seem fine so far.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Order them all, keep only the one you like.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I would go with a Zpacks pack, lighten your gear across the board, and decide to never ever carry more than 32 lbs again :)
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Hey WD, check out the granite gear blaze women specific backpack, at the max on your list at 3lb but lots of versatility and can def hold a can sideways. I second the fast and light motto, lots of cool new gear out there to help you find your personal balance.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

My gear is already light, although not UL. Bulk is more of an issue than weight. I get extremely cold when sleeping and am out enough in sub-freezing temperatures that I need at least a 20-degree bag (that is 20-degree for women which is about 10-degree man's bag). I do quite a few trips of 10-11 days; take fishing gear, and when in the Rockies, need a bit of extra warmth, full rain gear and bear spray, often microspikes. All the extras add up. The cost of going UL also does not make economic sense given the bushwhacking I do which ruins UL gear pretty quickly.

I prefer a relatively basic "traditional" pack with a removable lid. There are a few packs made by the cottage industry UL brands that I may consider but their weight is similar to the ones I am considering. Wondered if anyone had experience with the specific packs I mentioned.

I have used Granite Gear packs and they just do not fit my back.

An extra pound weight in a pack is not an issue. My current pack is a bit over 2 pounds, and I am willing to go up another pound if it will carry loads more comfortably.

I sure would like to have stores stock more in their stores. It would be great to be able to try on many different packs. Unfortunately, even if a store stocks many brands, they seldom stock a size that fits me. I called REI and they said I could order several and have them sent to the store, and only have to pay if I choose one. That sounds like my only option now.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

I completely get it WD, and i know your style. Sizing and cuts are a tough one and they vary soo much even within a brand sometimes. I know what you mean about sizes. Right now a lot of eastern sierra outdoor shops are loaded with packs but some brands are having logistical challenges still. If you had a specific one or two in mind, I would call Elevation Sierra in LP, Big Willi Mtneering, Wilson/Eastside Sport's, & Mammoth Mtneering. I'm like you i carry a heavier pack sometimes exactly for those reasons, sometimes ropes, climbing gear, snow gear, etc. Still don't have the patience for fishing but i make mental notes of all the alpine lakes bursting with fish. Good luck on your quest :) curious to hear what you end up with
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I was just up in Logan, Utah, home of ULA packs. Since I am recently retired, I plan to do more dayhikes, and needed a pack suitable for that. I stopped by, and tried on packs and decided on something. They sewed me up something and had it ready in about a day. I got to pick out colors and other options. It was pretty cool to see their shop and all of the goings on, and talk about packs and stuff with them.
You might give them a try.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Wow! I lived in Logan for five years in the mid-1990's. That is an idea- maybe stop by on my way to Wyoming this summer.

REI is limited in what they have in stock. Another Utah store, Backcountry.com has what I need, also on sale. I have stopped by their location before west of SLC, it is not really a store, but their warehouse for shipping from internet sales. You just go to a window and ask for an item, they bring it out, you try it on, then can buy it or give it back and try another. It was a while back- not sure they do that anymore.

In the meantime, I have four workable but very old packs that will suffice until I can get something new. My next trip is out of South Lake- 9 to 10 days over Bishop pass. For 5-7 day trips my current pack (Bergan's of Norway 55) works great but is a bit too small and uncomfortable carrying a heavier load for an 8-10 day trip. I have used it before on longer trips but suffered the first 2-3 days. I may test out my old Kelty frame that I have modified to make lighter. Took straps off my old GG Virga and used it for the pack bag. Bear can goes on top attached to extension bar. I actually like external frame packs.