dirt road

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Eman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

dirt road

Post by Eman »

Hi all,

Does anybody know the road condition to Norris Trailhead. Can i make it in a Honda Accord ?

thanks
Eric
Basslakehiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: dirt road

Post by Basslakehiker »

No, not in an Accord. The bridge on Beasore Road is out at Chiquito Creek. The drive around is doable in my stock Ford Expedition. If you went out Mammoth Pool road, and doubled back, there is another bridge out at Norris Creek which Is barely doable (scraped a bit) in the Expedition. You can get to Clover Meadow and Isberg THs (did in my Jetta) and access Ansel Adams from there, adds a few miles.
LightBulb
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by LightBulb »

Agreed. I just came back from there. I would not do it in an accord.

Didn't have trouble with 7.3 inches clearance but it was close and needed to throw some rocks down one spot.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

So to clarify, the detour is around the burned out bridge on Beasore, then continues on Beasore, or is it a different route altogether to Norris? FYI, we will have Outbacks with 8.5+ inch clearance but stock AS tires.
Eman
Topix Novice

Post by Eman »

Hi All,

Thanks for your response.

I just got back yesterday from a short trip. To the area.

I called the Ranger Station at North Fork for info on road conditions before i left. I spoke on the phone with a person
that said Beasore road was open. I then asked if i can get to Norris Trailhead off of Beasore road, she said yes.
I then asked if she knew the condition of the road going to the Norris trailhead,she did not know.

Well, i got the wrong info !. You can not get to Norris Trailhead off of Beasore Road. Beasore road is closed just past
Golbe Rock.
You can use a off road detour that was made for only 4 wheel drive high clearance. I did not get that far in my Hand Accord

I'm pissed that i got bad info from the forest service in North Fork. These people should know the latest info.

I will let them know !!!

Eric
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Beasore Road is a traditionally bad road, in several respects.
Basslakehiker
Topix Novice

Post by Basslakehiker »

webdweeb wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:55 am So to clarify, the detour is around the burned out bridge on Beasore, then continues on Beasore, or is it a different route altogether to Norris? FYI, we will have Outbacks with 8.5+ inch clearance but stock AS tires.
Yes the detour is as you state. You get back on the main road (Beasore)after maybe a quarter mile of dirt road driving and continue to Norris TH as normal. The difficulty crossong Beasore Creek is on the far (east) side. It is steep at the transition out ofmthe creek and slippery. I spun a bit in 4wd in my expedition climbing out on the far side. It is also stock with stock AS tires, nothing special. Clearnace was fine for me can't say for sure on an Outback... Think your traction should be fine. Get out and scout it out first.
Basslakehiker
Topix Novice

Post by Basslakehiker »

There's a video going west which doesn't really show the diificult part, its a month old. Water may be lower now. I got stopped by a submerged rock, backed up and made it second time. Instagram user name basslakerider
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

Basslakehiker, is the dirt road you refer to the loop that passes through Upper Chiquito campground? That is the only road I see on the 2016 FS map overlay in Caltopo that could bypass Chiquito Creek bridge without having to backtrack to Minaret Road and reconnect with Beasore Road on the east side, which I believe is the "official" detour. Also, do you have a link to the video you mentioned?
Basslakehiker
Topix Novice

Post by Basslakehiker »

webdweeb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 am Basslakehiker, is the dirt road you refer to the loop that passes through Upper Chiquito campground? That is the only road I see on the 2016 FS map overlay in Caltopo that could bypass Chiquito Creek bridge without having to backtrack to Minaret Road and reconnect with Beasore Road on the east side, which I believe is the "official" detour. Also, do you have a link to the video you mentioned?
No, the road leaves Beasore maybe 300 yards west of the bridge, it is labled 5S07A on 2016 FS map (Gaia). Map shows it ends at creek, but you drive through the creek and tie into the Upper Chiquito loop (5S11) just east of the Creek and head 50 yards up to the main road and continue on. There's a concrete barrier just before the 5S07A to keep people from driving over the nonexistent bridge. You cant miss it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdmt09mNWCr ... QWCLbfps0/