Mount Rotui: hiking in tropical island

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mount Rotui: hiking in tropical island

Post by oddtiger »

We spent our June in French Polynesia and part of me need some mountain fix. So our family took a very challenging route climbing the second highest peak, Mount Rotui on Moorea. It's short but probably the most difficult trail we have ever done with kids. The humid weather, steep climb, route finding, tropical bushes and slippery terrain make it super tough for the little ones, but the view is superb! Here are some pictures along the route/trail. It's really off maintenance so one has to be very careful on the ridge.

We spent almost 9 hours over this less-than-5-mile round trip and ran out of 2.5 gallons of water in my backpack. We also went through two thunder weather patterns during the descent and got soaking wet in the first one. Total elevation gain is around 3100ft! I think even without little kids it would still take me more than 6 hours to finish it in the same condition. We were the only group on that day doing this hike.

The hike started with dense tropical forests and bushes. Even at higher elevation, the bushes are still very bad, like much worse than my last trip to Edith lake in Yosemite ](*,)
IMG_2820.jpg
IMG_2822.jpg

Once going up to the ridge line, the trees are gone but the bushes are still there. We started really early so the heat was not that bad. It's very steep and slippery so some ropes are put on by locals without much maintenance. The roots of the bush helped a lot.

IMG_2831.jpg
The view is awesome once up on the ridge line.
IMG_2857.jpg
IMG_2837.jpg
The exposure actually is more that what I planned for a tropical hike
IMG_3073.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg

Above 2500ft, we can see the whole island in all directions.
IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oddtiger on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mount Rotui: hiking in tropical island

Post by oddtiger »

Some more pictures during the descent:
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3090.jpg
We all got some minor scratches due to lack of protection from the shorts. I didn't expect we would do a tough hike like this and need pants. But kids were very excited they made it. This is definitely not an average hike they have done in Sierra.
IMG_3095.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

Looks horrible getting to the top, but an amazing payoff

thanks for sharing
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Such great views!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray