water availability - Alta Meadow

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

water availability - Alta Meadow

Post by westmatt »

What's water availability look like between Panther Gap and Alta Meadow this time of year?

thanks
-Matt
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: water availability - Alta Meadow

Post by shawnterustic »

The most reliable source is usually Mehrten Creek, about 1.2 miles or so from Panther Gap - there's an obvious use trail that cuts down to it from the main trail. The last gully before you hit Alta Meadow usually has some flow still in early July, even in a dry year.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

thanks
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

In late August 2020 (a dry year) I found multiple small streams coming through the meadow. As you walk down towards the bottom of the meadow, you should encounter them. Especially if you are going in July.
jôhorn
Topix Novice

Post by jôhorn »

Had the same question, bumping the thread in case anyone's been up there recently. Is there water at Mehrten or anywhere between there and Moose Lake? Thanks.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted

Post by shawnterustic »

I haven't been up there this summer, but if I remember correctly from previous trips, there's a trailside spring tucked between Mehrten Creek and the Alta Peak trail. The meadow itself is also laced with springs / small streams, as David mentioned - you're bound to run into 'em as you cross. Depending on which route you're taking up to Moose, there's a tiny tarn south of the lake that's right next to an old use trail, located on the far side of the ridgeline that runs southeast from "Winter Alta" (i.e. peak 11328).
jôhorn
Topix Novice

Post by jôhorn »

Thanks for the info, just reporting back. As of yesterday trickles remain at Mehtrten, the spring on the trail to the peak, the last gully before the meadow and that's about it.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

jôhorn wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:15 am Thanks for the info, just reporting back.
QITNL, I presume?

Welcome, and I'd love to see more of your excellent photos any time you'd like to share.