Shortage of fuel?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Shortage of fuel?

Post by narc1370 »

Has anyone else had a problem finding gas for your stoves? My local REI has not had them in stock for over two months and there are no stores within driving distance (Bay Area) that have them. The normal $6 110 ml can is going for $15-20 online, and I recently saw an add for a 4 pack of jet fuel for $40, but they were sold out as well. Any hidden gems to find them?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Shortage of fuel?

Post by SSSdave »

Indeed, Walmart is usually a least expensive source but they are out. Am glad I bought 2 extra quart cans of Crown white gas when the pandemic began as an emergency backup if electricity service was out for days say from an earthquake.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I too looked at REI with no luck, and ended up going to Big 5 - they had the 8 oz and 16 oz canisters only (Kovea and Coleman, as I recall). I use them to refill the smaller ones, so that worked for me.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Anything you're seeing online is probably super expensive due to the problems surrounding shipping them.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Check Sportsman Wearhouse - they had a good supply several weeks ago. I too have noticed none at Walmart and a very limited choices at Big 5. I have enough part-used ones to get by if I had to.
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

They were out of gas canisters at REI in Reno today. The sales associate vaguely said they re-stock it, but it sells out quickly here.
terrapin
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by terrapin »

Sports Basement may have them, depending on the location. You can check online to see which of their stores have them in stock. The Sunnyvale location had plenty of 4oz and 8oz canisters a few days ago.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Sports Basement in Redwood City had a large supply a few weeks ago, when the Redwood City REI had none.
-Phil
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

This thread make me feel like a hoarder!

I usually wait for REI to offer a discount incentive. I rarely need new equipment or soft goods, so I usually stock up on food items and fuel. My last discount purchase binge was canister fuel. I guess I am lucky to have done it at the time, hopefully I'm set until this whole Covid supply chain disruption things fades.

One might try some of the merchants near your destiny venues, for example in Bishop, Lone Pine and Mammoth on the East Side. Past experience has taught me they often have slower stock cycling, whereas Big City merchants have shorter purchasing cycles and are more susceptible to episodic outages.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

It is just the small canister that is on short supply. I ordered these online through Walmart: GasOne Camping Fuel Blend Isobutane Fuel Canister 100g (4 Pack)

They came in a few days via FedEx ground delivery. $32 for four. Last year I was paying about $5 a can; so, $8 a can including shipping isn't too bad.

They were actually sold by Pricezone J&S International / GasOne, which is based in Compton.