2022 v. 2021 Mosquitoes - Any opinions yet???

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

2022 v. 2021 Mosquitoes - Any opinions yet???

Post by michaelzim »

I dislike backpacking with constant harassment from buzzing biters.
I also dislike backpacking in a smoke fest.
So I'm pushing into "mosquitoes time" earlier in the summer to try and avoid the fires - with a planned trip either 'mid-north' (Tully & Ram basins out of McGee TH) or 'south' (Reflection Lake and beyond out of Bubbs Creek) trip next week = late July. I have not decided yet and permits seem to be available surprisingly...or will do a "W" show up for Bubbs Creek.

So, I have been keeping a close eye on this thread but cannot as yet see any pattern to get a handle on. Last year there was a definite decrease in mosquitoes getting reported by now. Also some real variance between levels north of Mammoth Lakes (more skeeters) and to the south in SEKI (less skeeters). Hence I'm wondering if anything like that is happening this year?

Would appreciate any insights from those of you who have more experience with early summer seasons and get out there more as to what the 'current trend' may be this year.

Thanks much ~ Michaelzim
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 2022 v. 2021 Mosquitoes - Any opinions yet???

Post by mkbgdns »

not on your specific question, but with over 50 years in the sierra under my belt, and post-labor day (my fave over the last decade) being taken by wildfire smoke, I advise my daughters to aim for the late spring window between The Melt and The Hatch. this year, worked very well for us in early June. varies from year to year, depending on snowpack, pace of The Melt. and these vary by north/south, elevation.