Agnew Meadows parking for River Trail/JMT?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Agnew Meadows parking for River Trail/JMT?

Post by Iriscaddis »

Greetings and not sure if this is the right forum or I can move to the Hiking forum.
Question: Hiking out via River trail and JMT. Curious about parking the car. Back in the old days you can park down in the Agnew Meadows pack station lot, and we left a note stating in/out. I've tried reached MMT Ranger station but no one answers the call. Not even a voicemail.
I am assuming we have to take the shuttle down from main lodge and leave the car there but looking to see what the forum has to share.
Thank you.
Hope all is well out there.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Agnew Meadows parking for River Trail/JMT?

Post by c9h13no3 »

You can drive through the gate before opening hours (8AM?), otherwise it's the shuttle for you.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I think it's 7 am before the gates close.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

7am to 7 pm have to take shuttle, can park car at agnew any other times
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

Thank you for your responses. Just to confirm: one can park at Agnew Meadows and leave the car? Rangers won’t have an issue, no permit for parking? (I do have my wilderness permit).

And yes, while the Park service discourages vehicle traffic during peak times, you can drive down before 7am, and after 7pm. Otherwise, 7am-7pm mandatory shuttle, $15 per adult, $7 for children (steep IMHO).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just to confirm: one can park at Agnew Meadows and leave the car? Rangers won’t have an issue, no permit for parking? (I do have my wilderness permit).
Correct, and no.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

Thanks @maverick .
avizzini
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by avizzini »

Might be worth pointing out, that even with the strongly encouraged (and time depending, required) shuttle service, the past few years I've arrived at that parking area before 6am and felt lucky to get one of the few remaining spots. So unless you go mid-week, even then, maybe plan to get there well before 7am if avoiding a possible shuttle trip is important.
My black & white landscape photography from all my hikes...
https://photography.aaronvizzini.com
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Iriscaddis »

@avizzini, good point and thank you. I think we’ll be ok. Departing on a Wednesday. And even if we had to take the shuttle I’m ok with that. This question was more about planning and setting expectations with the rest of the lot that’s joining me. 😊 and what we used to experience in the past.
b_k
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by b_k »

I did a short backpack trip out of Agnew Meadows in mid-July & car camped the night before at the campground there. You don't need to use the shuttle if you're car camping in the Reds Meadow area, so the ranger at the kiosk next to Minaret Vista just waved us through, gave us some kind of dated tag & didn't even request the amenity fee (%15, I think) they can charge for folks who don't need to use the shuttle. I can't recall the amount of the campground fee. I moved the car to the backpackers' lot when we began our hike (a Monday), & there weren't tons of parking spaces, but I found one without difficulty.
But yes, i believe there's still only a ranger there 7am-7pm, so if you arrive outside of those hours you could likely park at Agnew Meadows without having to negotiate with a ranger. But we had to show the original tag to the ranger when we drove out after our trip (before 7pm)

Also- there were only 2 bear boxes at the trailhead parking, so I wouldn't bring boat-sized coolers or huge boxes of food.

https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/ ... mation.htm