Weather Caution This Week 9/6-9/11

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Weather Caution This Week 9/6-9/11

Post by maverick »

Hurricane Kay may impact the Sierra, bringing heavy rain and thunderstorms, plan accordingly.

NWS:
Some instability for afternoon showers and thunderstorms in the mountains, mainly the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada, is possible from Wednesday until Friday.
By the weekend, there is a chance more tropical moisture could arrive and bring showers and scattered thunderstorms, due to Hurricane Kay which is currently off the coast of southern Baja California. This system is projected to track northwestward off the coast of Northern Baja California and will weaken to a tropical storm by Saturday evening, according to the latest outlook from the National Hurricane Center. Given the potential for this tropical system to pass relatively close to southern California, showers and thunderstorms could occur just about anywhere in our forecast area, although confidence in this scenario remains low. Moisture might linger into early next week over the mountains, although it is more certain that our forecast area will at least get a break from triple digit heat starting this weekend.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Flood Watch Issued 9/9-9/10

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
aaron_in_sf
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Weather Caution This Week 9/6-9/11

Post by aaron_in_sf »

Punted on a trip to Minaret Lake area from forecast this weekend... sigh.
jôhorn
Topix Novice

Re: Weather Caution This Week 9/6-9/11

Post by jôhorn »

On Sat Sep 10 it rained for about 7 hours straight at 1000 Island Lake.