Hiking gloves advice requested

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hiking gloves advice requested

Post by kpeter »

I use the Outdoor Research fingerless sun gloves. I wanted gloves that permit me to operate my camera without taking them off.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/acti ... ves-280128

I wear them mainly for sun protection, but they also prevent blisters which I otherwise get with my cork handled walking poles. The fabric is very thin, although it has some rubber grips printed on them. Not at all hot. They last me about 1-2 seasons before I need to replace them, so they are not cheap.

I have not torn or abraded a pair, but over time the seams wear out. They seem tougher in practice than one would think by the extremely thin nature of the fabric. They get extremely dirty but I soak them in laundry detergent before washing at home and they come out surprisingly clean.

If you need some padding to protect your hands, then these gloves won't provide that. For some light protection against scratches and abrasion, they help. For cool protection against sunburn on the backs of your hands, they are perfect.

If you want more protection in fingerless gloves, then the logical choice would be climbing gloves, but I don't have any. Something like this maybe, but I bet the climbers on the board could say a lot more:

https://www.rei.com/product/899112/blac ... ing-gloves
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I use fly fishing, first digit fingerless gloves for hiking poles and medium weight work gloves with shoo goo or gorilla glue thick glue on the finger pad portion for talus. The finger pads take a beating on talus, so thick glue saves the finger tips. You can use the second set of gloves for poles to eliminate the use of two sets of gloves, but it depends on your hike. I find bringing both adds nothing to weight.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Cycling gloves, fingerless. I started using them when I began using trekking poles.

If I were to do more bushwhacking I'd go with a pair of leather work gloves from Harbor Freight, but cut off the tips as well for summer use. Those get pretty warm. I sweat through the leather just working on my car, but they are far more durable than cycling gloves.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I use the lightweight fingerless ones as well, I find Glacier Gloves have been lasting longer than OR / Buff. I find a pair of leather gloves abandoned at least every summer (I think I’ve packed out two pairs, a pack towel, and a spatula from below Schoeber Holes), while I’ve never come across the lighter ones. With how hot summers are now I wouldn’t want to wear full on gardening gloves.

If you don’t use trekking poles they’d last longer, they always wear between the thumb and forefinger for me. These probably have around six months of trail time and still work.

IMG_9874.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by erutan on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

My hiking gloves are essentially free, as I also cycle. I'll retire cycling gloves to hiking duty as they become too worn for cycling. Even new, the cycling gloves that I buy cost less than the "hiking gloves" and are sturdier.